Martin and Taylor

hasben

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Tony,

It has not seemed to stop ya! Platnum blond.
:laugh:

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm still trying to decide if Dennis was being complementary or not.... :laugh:

goldleaf

Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Got to jump in here. I love the looks, feel and sound of the Taylor. I toured the factory and was really impressed by all aspects of the construction and machine and hand work done on them. But I took off on a different direction. It started with a Guild "Contemporary Series" that was produced in Tacoma WA, in 2007. I bought one from Musicians Friends that was a 2nd, and needed repair, which my Luthier took care of w/o any trouble. After finding out about these Guilds that were not being advertised I found several others being sold through "wholesale distributors" they have a small stamp "used" on the back of the headstock, otherwise "many" are new, unplayed &come w/a beautiful case. The MSRP on these ranged from $2,600 to $3,300 but of course the wholesale price was about half sometimes less. They were hand built by Guild's craftsmen and have a patented neck mounting system and their own electrical system. I think they equal to Taylor or Martin,s mid-upper range in price, comparing sound, quality, woods and playability. They are fashioned after the Guild F40 series, the orchestra size with the pointed or rounded cutaway. The woods are really top quality w/ the tops in AAA spruce and Red Spruce. Sides & Back are Indian Rosewood or Curly or Flamed Maple. Those are the ones I managed to find & purchase. I have 3 different combinations of woods, I bought due to the price and quality and uniqueness of these guitars. I would eventually like to sell or trade one possibly 2 of these Guilds so I could by a Taylor to add some variety to my small collection. I also have a Blueridge A/E w/ cutaway which I would recommend to anyone looking for a $600 range A/E w/ cutaway style guitar. I was able to purchase a "Willy Porter Signature Model" (mint condition) which is the top of the line of this limited run Guild guitar (less than 100 produced). It's the one I wouldn't sell or trade, as I have not played any other guitars I've liked as much. I have not played any guitars over $5K price so my comparison is limited. The Guild Cont.Series are unlike any other Guilds produced in the past. Check out the TG "Groups" for Guild Contemporary Series for a detailed explanation of their origin and their parent company's (Fender) decision to move the production of their current GAD series to Asia. Gary

BigBear

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:13 pm

AndyT wrote:
I've played a couple of Taylors and I guess I'm one of the few that did not fall in love with them.

Sorry buddy, my statement referred to Taylor owners not just sightseers! To fall in love you have to own one and have it sitting in the case calling to you to pull it out and play it!! :cheer:

BigBear

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:23 pm

bobk35 wrote:
Guys,

I have picked up the Taylors and the Martins at the guitar stores and I find the newer Martins have a higher action than I am used to. I expect them to be a little flat since they are new. The Taylors have a great feel and seem to be more "open".

Bob- don't be influenced by the "action" on any guitar. Any of these high end instruments are easily "set up" by a competent luthier to any action you want. They all have adjustable truss rods and the nut and saddle can be modified as needed.

Action is a common misconception of guitar quality. Taylor sets theirs pretty low for starters because they have incredible consistency of the neck shape and frankly people looking to buy a new guitar are often influenced by a low action. It's just good marketing but means nothing at that level of guitar!

Cheers! :cheer:

AndyT

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I'll never BE an owner if I don't fall in love with it first.

dennisg

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Chris and Tony,

Here's only a small part of what you have to look forward to: a wall of Taylors, Martins, Collings, and others.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Oh yeah, that's my kind of place. Can we camp out?

And...
"I can't believe such tones are capable of coming from a guitar."
Ha! Tom Hulce as W.A. Mozart said that to Salieri in one of my favourite films, AMADEUS. Let me see if I can place: "Too many notes" somewhere on the forum too!

Tony: Blond? Blond?! That's bonafide grey hair! Well earned through honest, hard maturing and years of smart thinking! Blond!! And it's the Bayerns in lederhosen. The Swiss have earings in and a huge cowbell around their necks (for special occasions)! You make sure you wear your cork hat to attract all the flies! :-)

KennyF

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Actually, I'm sorry that I responded to this topic at all. Sometimes I forget that what I say may be inadvertently slamming something that somebody already owns and loves. I truly apologize if I've offended anyone.

Bottom line... Play before you buy and be happy with what you own.

dennisg

Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:40 pm

kennyf wrote:
Actually, I'm sorry that I responded to this topic at all. Sometimes I forget that what I say may be inadvertently slamming something that somebody already owns and loves. I truly apologize if I've offended anyone.

Bottom line... Play before you buy and be happy with what you own.
The original poster invited comments and comparisons. You didn't say anything offensive to anyone with an ounce of objectivity. You just expressed an opinion, however misguided it may have been.

- Dennis

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic