Martin and Taylor

KennyF

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am

haoli25 wrote:
I really like both Taylor and Martin guitars. But if you are considering buying a mid-priced fine guitar, don't forget about some of the handmade guitars. Its not always been the case, but many of these guitars are excellent.
A personal favorite of mine now is from a guitar maker in Finland. His name is Olav Loef. The next guitar I buy will be one of his. Many of his guitars are in the $2500 (USD) price range.

Have a listen to a Loef guitar;

Bill
That was a very nice arrangement.

Thanks Bill. Gives me something to do today.

frybaby

Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 pm

Never owned a Martin, but buoght a Guild way back when, cause it was as close I could get to the Martin sound and was affordable.

Bought a 1997 Taylor in 2007. It took a while to buy in to the Taylor brand, cause I was so use to the fuller, darker tones of the Guild.

I like the way Taylor played and I liked the 1 3/4 neck of the Taylor vs. the 1 11/16 necks of Guild/Martin, and most other guitars .

While not stubby, my phalanges are not the slimes or longest on the planet so the 1 3/4 neck better suit my hand much better.

I managed to buy a Taylor; however when I played the 514 which has a cedar top and mahogany side and back. The Cedar top is beautiful and really has some soft mellow tones, balanced by the mahogany, (although rosewood side and back would be better.)

I am happy with the Taylor sound, though I still experiment with strings regularly to tone her down a bit.
Just my preference.

Regarding Martin however I think an older model would be a worthwhile investment.

While at Guitar Center (Houston, Texas) a chap was there looking to buy a amp he was plugging in different guitars, but since he played a Martin, he plugged in an older model they had on display, and it blew me away.
Not sure of the amp or the guitar, I had to get home before my wife missed me, but the high end, older Martin sound is hard to beat.
I hate the headstock shape though.

tovo

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Great replies thanks. I don't mind opening cans of worms, but it is great that we can have these discussions without it getting nasty like I'm sure it could. Dennis, Seattle is officially on my list to visit. If I arrive and there is a blond fellow in lederhosen I'll assume it's Chris.

I really don't like the Martin Headstock either, very ugly in my opinion, but the ones I've played have been silky.

In terms of talent or accomplishment as a player justifying the purchase or not, I think I am more inclined to practice because I love picking up my guitar, so for me it's a good think that my playing hasn't caught up with the quality of my instrument.

hasben

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Fry,

I'm glad your phalanges are not "slimes". Mine are. Both hands.
:laugh:
Fred

reiver

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:31 pm

frybaby wrote:
The Cedar top is beautiful and really has some soft mellow tones, balanced by the mahogany, (although rosewood side and back would be better.)

The cedar top with rosewood back and sides is available on the 714 and 716 models.

r

hasben

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey guys, let me jump in here for a moment. I don't have any intelligent thing to say other than I am more than happy with my Martin D-15. It fits me and my ear and I like the way it looks. Plain Jane. Just like me.
But what I really want to say is: Thanks to all of you for your informed and well reasoned responses. I consider this forum well worth the price of admission just for the info I would not get otherwise.
Fred

bobk35

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Guys,

As someone who may be in the market for a guitar in the future, I love the input.

I have picked up the Taylors and the Martins at the guitar stores and I find the newer Martins have a higher action than I am used to. I expect them to be a little flat since they are new. The Taylors have a great feel and seem to be more "open".

I've played several 30+ year old Martins and since I can't put new strings on them, I can't tell what they have for potential. They all seemed to need work ( neck resets, etc).

I am only looking at the smaller bodies since I have several Dreds and I can't seem to find a comfortable position for fingerpicking. I find I need a strap to support them.

Guess I'd have to say I am leaning toward a Taylor.

dennisg

Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:59 pm

hasben wrote:
Hey guys, let me jump in here for a moment. I don't have any intelligent thing to say other than I am more than happy with my Martin D-15. It fits me and my ear and I like the way it looks. Plain Jane. Just like me.
But what I really want to say is: Thanks to all of you for your informed and well reasoned responses. I consider this forum well worth the price of admission just for the info I would not get otherwise.
Fred
I just want you all to know that Fred is a friend of mine. I've heard him play his Martin, and listening to that music, one can only say to himself, "I can't believe such tones are capable of coming from a guitar."

That's why I bought a Taylor.

glennt

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Wow. That was a beautiful version of Whiter Shade of Pale. thank you.

I just popped in to this discusion midstream as I am curious whenever Taylor guitars are talked about. Years ago I too had a Guild that I just loved so 2 years ago I went shoping for one, ended up with a Taylor that I just can't wait to pick up everyday. Never had a Martin so I have no reference and certainly no preference.

Thanks for the tune, really nice. Glenn

tovo

Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:12 pm

hasben wrote:
Hey guys, let me jump in here for a moment. I don't have any intelligent thing to say
Fred if that were a criteria I would still be waiting to post my first comment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic