fat fingers anonymous!

mattroutley

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 am

My names Matt and i have fat fingers!

it's really getting on my nerves now, when it never used to bother me. Especially now i'm learning more finger picking stuff, the amount of times i dull a string drives me nuts!!!!

Anyone else have similar trouble or is it just me?

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 am

Matt! Used to happen ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say, is play through it and, believe it or not, it will start to happen less and less. I complained about that to my instructor once and he told me to play through it. It still happens now, but not as often. Very frustrating at times, so I can relate...... :P

MJ

dennisg

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 am

Matt,

At one time or another, I think everyone has the problem of inadvertently muting strings. I do it constantly, and I don't have particularly thick fingers. But if you do, there's going to be a real premium on pressing the strings with the very tips of your fingers, with your fingers arced away from the strings below them.

Bear, he of the sausage-fingered species, will likely chime in on this subject.

- Dennis

hasben

Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 am

My name is Fred and I too have fat fingers.

Matt, go through the entire 12 step program. Step 1: (where I currently am at). Get that left hand/wrist under the neck. This is something I am having to learn after years of using a combination Varden/interlock/overlap/baseball grip. (any golfers out there) :)

Anyway, the open chords become clearer and barre chords become possible. I am having to undo so many bad habits that have for many years kept me from progressing with my instrument. It is truly difficult for a old guy like me, comfortable with bad habits; but I am determined to get it right, perhaps in my next reincarnation.

Step 2: I don't know yet.

Sometimes I wonder if it is harder to undo poor technique than to start with no experience at all.

For what it's worth, Fred

mark

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Matt

A lot of guitarists who fingerpick a lot have guitars with a slightly wider neck.

All my guitars have a 45mm neck width. It isn't greatly different but gives you just that little bit extra amount of space.

BigBear

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Dennis is right! My hands are so big they look like paws! I did not get the gift of great guitar hands but I can still play and enjoy the heck out of it.

First, and foremost, you MUST use good hand position. This is true of everyone but especially if you have big hands. Watch Neil carefully and keep your wrist low so your fingers fret the strings almost straight down. The dreaded "baseball" grip will not be successful with us. Of course that doesn't stop me from trying! lol!

Also, decide whether you have big hands or large fingers. I had my Larrivee custom made for me with a 12 string neck. It really helps with fingerstyle songs but for fast strumming songs, my standard width guitar is actually easier to play. It is certainly easier to barre a standard width guitar.

What I'm suggesting here is a wide neck may not be the panacea we think it is. Technique is far more important. You may have to play better and cleaner than most people to get it done but is needing better technique really such a burden?

Finally, I think we have to admit that everyone is different and there may be some chords or shapes that you just can't play very well. The beauty of the guitar is there is almost always a workaround. You just have to be creative and find it.

Good luck Matt. Maybe we need a new Group for big hands, fat fingers and large paws! :cheer:

haoli25

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Matt, stay with it!!!!

This is the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet. If you watch the guy second from the right, he does not let his short, fat fingers slow him down. Don't let it slow you down either.

Bill

dekotaj

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Yes Matt happens all the time and it dose drive a guy nuts.I cant seam to keep mine out of the way sometimes either.

Kevin

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Hey Matt. You said you were bricklaying, right. Now you probably have had to use your hands in heavy ways for a number of years, that does effect the dexterity. We did tests on different athletes at college and the fencers were miles better that the boxers at finger nimbleness, not surprisingly! Your nimbleness of finger movement can be helped with constant finger exercises and it's probably more important for you than others. I've lead a sheltered life and find finger movements easy! Having said that, I play a 12 string and 6 string nylon western guitar both with wider necks. Can't play a note on an electric guitar!

Fred: There was a whole thread on new learning and re-learning somewhere. I suggest that nothing has to be re-learned. Just learn the new stuff and build it into your playing as you can. Eventually the more practised stuff comes through. Start with a clean sheet and don't try to write over or "correct" on an imprinted sheet. New neural patterns laid down; new movements.

wadestar

Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:51 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Matt, stay with it!!!!

This is the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet. If you watch the guy second from the right, he does not let his short, fat fingers slow him down. Don't let it slow you down either.

Bill

I totally enjoyed this vid! Thanks for sharing it, he does have fat fingers eh but boy can he move them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic