fat fingers anonymous!

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I too dull notes from time to time and I don't have fat fingers, its mostly hand position and finger placement. A recent song I was learning I had particular difficulty when i had to finger pick one of the chords involving index on 5th fret 5th string, middle 5th fret 4th string and ring finger 5th fret 2nd string. I did a work around and got there eventually, darn problem is remembering the workaround each time lol

reiver

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I used to think that I had stubby fingers, too fat to play guitar, then I sat about 10ft from Bo Diddley thro' an entire set and haven't complained since.

r

wrench

Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Matt,

I'm surprised more people don't investigate finger size and string spreads. When you do, though, you don't always find what you think you will. Reiver's right, there are some great players with large hands, like Bo. Ever see Richie Havens do a barre chord with his thumb? For the lfe of me, I can't figure out how these guys play 1-11/16 necks.

Anyway, I found that when it comes to string spacing, a little can mean a lot. At 1-7/16 spacing outside-to-outside, I almost can't play. At 1-7/16 center-to-center, I love it. At 1-1/2 outside-to-outside, I can't make a barre, like Bear mentioned. So in a total of.060 of spacing, I go from unplayable close to unplayable wide. The sweet spot for me is right in the middle, so just .006 between each pair of strings made a world of difference.

While it's no substitute for skills, technique, and practice, you just may really need just a little more room, so consider some nut work.

wrench

dennisg

Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:06 pm

wrench wrote:
you just may really need just a little more room, so consider some nut work.
Doctor, is that procedure reversible?

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

dennisg wrote:
wrench wrote:
you just may really need just a little more room, so consider some nut work.
Doctor, is that procedure reversible?
He'll be singing falsetto in no time Image

AndyT

Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Good technique will overcome fat fingers. You just have to know it and keep working toward it. Kick the frustration out of the house and don't allow anyone to bring it back in. Just keep loving what your doing and sooner or later it will all be smooth and tasty as a perfect piece of cheesecake.

Diver1

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Guy- My name is Matt as well and I have HUGE hands and fingers. Construction work most of my life. A few things that I found help out.

1) Proper positioning with left hand, low and straight, not wrapped around the neck with the wrist. Neil mentions this quite often.

2) For electric guitar I have a strat body I purchased off ebay and set it up with a Wormouth (sp?) custom neck at 2" wide. Really sweet setup. I have less than 1K into a custom electric that is set up for me.

3) Acoustic - Goodall guitar, has a wider neck than most. Not cheap, but sounds way good and feels great. Hittng that A-major is possible using 3 fingers instead of slapping a mini bar is possible.

4) Practice - Practice- Parctice!!!!!

Take Care-
M ;)

haoli25

Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Good advice and interesting tips, Matt.

Bill

mattroutley

Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 am

Thanks for the many responses all, it's nice to know there are others who are having similar trouble and the tips will be invaluable.

Short story: I went around to a friends last night and had a go on his new Takamine. I played the same songs i was having trouble with (including babe i'm gonna leave you which i posted as my nemesis) and i had absolutely no trouble at all!

So it was either the guitar or i was just having a good night. I'm hoping it was the latter because at the moment i don't have £2500 to blow on a guitar!!

AndyT

Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:03 am

What can I say but, Takamines are naturally better than Taylors.... :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic