fat fingers anonymous!

johnrfeeney

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 am

very interesting discussion

a lot of great info

the video of the guitar quartet was superb

i have the same problem - and maybe a little different, the part of my finger that comes off the palm has a pad - not actually fat and this prevents me from ever really getting the high E string on the barr chords which are fashioned after the A

never have been able to overcome it - I can't bend my joint on the finger enough so that the pad doesn't deaden the high E

Catman

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am

I too have adipose digits.

I find that I have to take care when placing a barre, and the placing will change according to which strings are fretted by the barre finger and which are covered by other fingers. Other than that...keep your left wrist down and your hand curved so that the said adiposities are as perpendicular as possible to the fretboard.

David

wrench

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 am

johnrfeeney wrote:
very interesting discussion

a lot of great info

the video of the guitar quartet was superb

i have the same problem - and maybe a little different, the part of my finger that comes off the palm has a pad - not actually fat and this prevents me from ever really getting the high E string on the barr chords which are fashioned after the A

never have been able to overcome it - I can't bend my joint on the finger enough so that the pad doesn't deaden the high E
I resemble that remark! I know exactly what you mean. I generally only barre from the middle joint up, which is why I can't use wider string spacings. My fingers are also wider than they are thick, so when fingering chords where the fingers must be turned a little, like a D chord, I still need a little extra spacing. Finding the right string spacing made a large improvement - I can finger most chords cleanly while keeping the index finger pad off the barres.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic