Flatpicking or fingerpicking: which guitar?

sws626

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:43 pm

Though not specifically built for this purpose, the Martin 000-28EC is a good guitar for fingerpicking.

In terms of the dimensions reiver (the other Stuart) cites, the 000-28EC does have a shorter scale length (24.9"), but has 14 frets to the body (not a disadvantage, in my view), with the fingerboard width of 1 3/4" (v. typical 1 11/16") at the nut and and 2 1/4" (v. typical 2 1/8") at the bridge.

But it definitely doesn't have the bass or projection of a dreadnaught, so probably not the right choice for bluegrass, if that's what you're into.

The lovely and smaller-bodied 00-28VS, for example is closer to what reiver described (12 frets, 24.9" scale, 1 7/8" at nut, 2 5/16" at bridge). But if I were going to buy a 12 fret guitar as a second instrument specifically for fingerpicking and little else, I think I'd prefer a proper nylon strung classical guitar.

reiver wrote:
Dennis

I would say that a built for purpose fingerpicking guitar, will differ in a few key areas from the standard dread/jumbo/GS models that we are familiar with. Typically it will have a smaller body, will be a shorter scale length (24.9 inches c/w 25.4 inches) with 12 frets to the body and wider string spacing at the bridge, to allow the fingers to get between the strings more easily. For example, Martin make a signature model which is 2 5/16 inches at the bridge whereas my guitars are both 2 1/8 inches.

I think that these are the key areas of difference.

r

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic