Who picks thumb picks?

dennisg

Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm going to preface my question by stating that I have very little experience with finger picks of all types. But, I have to say, I'm a little confused by thumb picks. I know that using them comfortably and effectively is likely a matter of getting used to them -- but the design of thumb picks makes getting used to them very unpleasant. First, the plucking surface of the pick seems to be too low on the pick. Since most of us are coming to thumb picks from having used our thumb nails, a picking surface we're very used to, shouldn't a pick's plucking surface be higher on the pick -- near the corner of the nail? And second, the plucking surface feels way too long, requiring you to get used to keeping your thumb almost a half-inch further away from the string than you would if you were using your thumbnail.

All in all, it seems like the ideal thumb pick would have a much smaller (shorter) plucking surface and be higher than it currently is.

Aside from telling me to just get used to the way they are, any thoughts on this?

BigBear

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Dennis- I frequently use a thumbpick in concert with fingerpicks. I think they are easier to get used to than fingerpicks.

The major problem with thumb picks is they can really overdo the bass. I find I need to be much more delicate with my attack or all you hear is bass notes.

I found a brand that really stands out for me. It's called a Zookie and what makes them great is the actual picking tip is rotated to be square with the strings. You can get them with various angles. I like either 10 or 20 degrees. They are also quite comfortable and stay on great on my paws!

Experiment with different kinds until you find the brand you like.

Good luck!!

:cheer:

suziko

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:38 pm

I use Herc. You know you can always file them down until they feel right.

I find they are a bit too long when I get them new. I dig into the strings too much if I don't file then. I use a wood file and then fine sand them.

haoli25

Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Dennis, I use the Fred Kelly "Speed Pick". I have tried others, but this was the easiest for me to use. The design is a little different than most thumbpicks.

Bill

AndyT

Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Also, you only play downtrokes with a thumbpick.

michelew

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:27 pm

I have to agree with Dennis.

All of the picks you've mentioned still require you to change your thumb action, rather than assisting your natural thumb movement and strengthening it (or increasing the volume). I admit that I haven't given thumb picks much of a go. I have filed a few down, but the feel is so removed from playing with the edge and nail of your thumb that it hurts my brain and sends a shudder through me.

There HAS to be a better design that is closer to the natural thumb method.

AndyT

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Try flipping the thumbpick upside down.

michelew

Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:40 pm

My joke radar must be on the blink - no I just can't tell....

dennisg

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm

AndyT wrote:
... and then stand on one foot, flap your arms, and squeal like a pig. Thumb picks will still suck.

michelew

Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:28 pm

dennisg wrote:
AndyT wrote:
... and then stand on one foot, flap your arms, and squeal like pig. Thumb picks will still suck.

I think I'll wait until my thumb nail grows back (I have about 2mm now) - or we colonise Mars - they should be able to make a good one by then.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic