Do you like to listen to the same type of music you like to play?

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I like to listen to fingerstyle, hauntingly beautiful, slow tempo, in minor keys with some dissonant stuff. But I like to play Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Southern Rock, Folk. I like to break strings and picks. ???????? Why????????

Anyone else similarly conflicted (or afflicted, as the case may be)? Is there a Guitar Psychologist in the house?

wrench

haoli25

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Excellent question Dan. Mostly because of work, I like to listen to all types of music. Even though I like many of the current songs (country, rock, and pop), I still tend to play mostly classic rock, rock, and classical. I try to convince myself that these are the most challenging songs to play.

Bill

hasben

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Wrench, are you Canadian? "Haughingly beautiful" seems to be endemic to the colder climes :) e.g. Joni, Gordon, Leonard (not skinnard)and... had another on my mind but had a brain freeze... :laugh:

I am certainly not a phychologist, more like odontologist. However, like you, I am particularly fond of such music. Now, load the gun... for a clean shot to the head... just to clear out the sinuses... Meloncholonia can be cured :laugh: . I am told.

BigBear

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:41 pm

Great question! I can relate better to songs and styles I can play but I really enjoy Celtic music (Clannad, Lorena McKennitt, Anuna, Altan, Connie Dover) and New Age (Tingstad & Rumbel, David Lanz, and all the great Narada, Windham Hill and small label artists). Oh, and I'm also into Native American music (Carlos Nakai, Sacred Spirits and others). Talk about haunting!

Don't reveal this to any of my friends but I listen to a lot of classical music, too. Also, bluegrass (but very little country!) and some jazz. And I confess I love reggae!

I think it is perfectly normal to listen to a wide variety of music. If a shrink looked at my iPod he'd think this guy doesn't know what he likes except he doesn't like rap, hip-hop, pop, or much country.

I'm conflicted and I wouldn't have it any other way!! :laugh:

Moondog

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:49 pm

I find the more I play the better my appreciation for other types of music. I play mostly classic rock songs and I do listen to a lot of classic rock but mostly I listen to 80s and 90s metal.

Mike

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:55 pm

hasben wrote:
Wrench, are you Canadian? "Haughingly beautiful" seems to be endemic to the colder climes :) e.g. Joni, Gordon, Leonard (not skinnard)and... had another on my mind but had a brain freeze... :laugh:

I am certainly not a phychologist, more like odontologist. However, like you, I am particularly fond of such music. Now, load the gun... for a clean shot to the head... just to clear out the sinuses... Meloncholonia can be cured :laugh: . I am told.
Nope, not Canadian, mid-Atlantic US born and bred. But my parents always bemoaned cold weather while I loved it. Cure Meloncholonia? Another conflict arises. It is certainly no laughing matter to those folks who suffer from it, but it is the inspiration of so much music.

Dan

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 pm

BigBear wrote:
Great question! I can relate better to songs and styles I can play but I really enjoy Celtic music (Clannad, Lorena McKennitt, Anuna, Altan, Connie Dover) and New Age (Tingstad & Rumbel, David Lanz, and all the great Narada, Windham Hill and small label artists). Oh, and I'm also into Native American music (Carlos Nakai, Sacred Spirits and others). Talk about haunting!

Don't reveal this to any of my friends but I listen to a lot of classical music, too. Also, bluegrass (but very little country!) and some jazz. And I confess I love reggae!

I think it is perfectly normal to listen to a wide variety of music. If a shrink looked at my iPod he'd think this guy doesn't know what he likes except he doesn't like rap, hip-hop, pop, or much country.

I'm conflicted and I wouldn't have it any other way!! :laugh:
Hmmmm.... reverse Celtic and New Age by only a very small margin, and your preferences are alarmingly close, nay, identical, to mine. What the heck does this mean? Let's see, we're both engineers and about the same age......

Where's that Psychologist, I'm dyin' here!

Dan

Craig

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 pm

I grew up in the 70's listening to classic rock and pop music. A lot of the type of music that Neil makes lessons for, which is why finding TG was so great for me. However, I really like blues. The problem, of course, is my ability level and the blues are miles apart! Hopefully someday!
Craig

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Moondog wrote:
I find the more I play the better my appreciation for other types of music. I play mostly classic rock songs and I do listen to a lot of classic rock but mostly I listen to 80s and 90s metal.

Mike
Not to pry, but in the interest of science.....what is your age give or take a decade?

Dan

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 pm

I listen to mostly Blues and Classic rock, but also I am partial to Celtic music, Clannad and Enya are two favourites (favorites for Bear). I don't play Celtic music though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic