Do you like to listen to the same type of music you like to play?

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Craig wrote:
I grew up in the 70's listening to classic rock and pop music. A lot of the type of music that Neil makes lessons for, which is why finding TG was so great for me. However, I really like blues. The problem, of course, is my ability level and the blues are miles apart! Hopefully someday!
Craig
Where did you grow up Craig?

Dan

BigBear

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:22 pm

wrench wrote:

Hmmmm.... reverse Celtic and New Age by only a very small margin, and your preferences are alarmingly close, nay, identical, to mine. What the heck does this mean? Let's see, we're both engineers and about the same age......

Where's that Psychologist, I'm dyin' here!

Dan

Dan- We're like those new superfast computer chips that need bigger heat sumps and fans. We need mellow music to cool our brain cores! LOL! :silly:

Craig

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:23 pm

I grew up (and am still here) in Chula Vista, California which is about 15 minutes south of San Diego.
Craig

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:32 pm

BigBear wrote:
wrench wrote:

Hmmmm.... reverse Celtic and New Age by only a very small margin, and your preferences are alarmingly close, nay, identical, to mine. What the heck does this mean? Let's see, we're both engineers and about the same age......

Where's that Psychologist, I'm dyin' here!

Dan

Dan- We're like those new superfast computer chips that need bigger heat sumps and fans. We need mellow music to cool our brain cores! LOL! :silly:
Of course. All equations must balance. Plausible theory here. The fingerstylist Antoine Dufour plays metal for relaxation.......

wrench

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:44 pm

Craig wrote:
I grew up (and am still here) in Chula Vista, California which is about 15 minutes south of San Diego.
Craig
Did you listen to the Blues when you were growing up? My family is all from the South, and I have it on good authority that "you don't play no Blues 'til you got 'da Blues in your life" Only then does skill level become a factor.

I think music is like photography. When you look at an amateur photo, you see what the lens saw, but when you look at a photo taken by a great photographer, you feel what the photographer felt. If you just hear notes, then they're just notes. But if you feel them, that is music.

Dan

dekotaj

Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:53 pm

I like to listen to everything but for right now play mostly folk music.But would be happy playing almost anything.No matter what the style of music I can find some piece of it I can listen to.And would not mind learning.Just aint hade the time yet.

Kevin

goldleaf

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:15 pm

I am enjoying playing music from the 60's & 70's & Neil chooses great songs to learn that fall in this era. In my teens, when I played with others and more often and for audiences, I played the electric guitar and don't think I would have spent much time on acoustic. I still like to break out my electric and crank up the amp. I have to admit I have a bit of a change of persona when I hear that loud, has to be loud, sound cranking out. Love the wammy bar and all the sounds I can get out of my amp. Problem -- time. Since I'm not retired or a professional musician I just don't have the time to do half the musical things I would like. I play the harmonica, mandolin, some keyboard, none of it very well but with some time!! So I focus on the songs I love and have always wanted to play since Neil has presented that option to me. Gary

Moondog

Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:45 pm

wrench wrote:
Moondog wrote:
I find the more I play the better my appreciation for other types of music. I play mostly classic rock songs and I do listen to a lot of classic rock but mostly I listen to 80s and 90s metal.

Mike
Not to pry, but in the interest of science.....what is your age give or take a decade?

Dan
I don't think one should act there age. I still ride Sport Bikes (although I no longer race), go paint balling, ect.

Mike

jim56

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:01 pm

I like to play all of it and listen to all of it. So yes.

Now liking to play what I listen to and being able to play what I listen to are completely different.

I think a bigger question for me is does anyone else want to listen to what I want to play? :)

And if we had psychiatrists, would we need guitars?

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:04 pm

I absolutely love to listen to the same type of music that I play. That, in fact, is my biggest problem sometimes.......

I like so many types of music, that I cannot stay focused long enough to learn to play anything........ :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic