Brain Cramp.....

MarkM

Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

ARHHH.................

This post is of no value other than I want to put the guitar down a moment and rest my brain. Saw Jay's Dear Prudence last night and I thought that I would FINALLY jump in with two feet and try out fingerpicking on this song. Why not start this with a song that I love and know the tempo and melody as well as any. OH MY :ohmy: :ohmy: My head is mush. T/R, T,I,T,M,T rinse and repeat. It's like trying to rewire your brain or something. Muscle memory???? What muscle memory. Throw that out the window and start over from scratch. So after a 90 minutes or so I got the pattern down with little to no mistakes but the tempo is s l o w........

I worked the thumb piece out by itself for a few runs through the song and then added the rest of the fingers just on the D chord. That did the trick but it's really slow going. So then I go through the chord progression for a while. OK fine there but for some reason I'm pausing between chords. Quite unlike when I'm strumming. I'll have to wrap my brain around that and hopefully that will fix itself out soon.

Now to that D with C in the bass. Ouch!!! :dry: So different trying to keep that ring finger down on the high E. Ususally in that progression with say a Neil Young song you take your ring finger and thow it on the C. My hand still wants to do that. When I do get it down, my hand feels like it is in a twister game....

Again, just venting folks. Nothing to see here. Just wanted to state that I've finally started a fingerpicking song and here is where I'm at. Hopefully I'll get better with more reps and get something worthy of posting over the weekend.

MarkM

dennisg

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Now you know what it's like when we try to play your songs.

michelew

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Yep - I really need to get back to that song - really only tackled the first 4 bars - but Oh Yeh! I really know what you mean, really, really,... (bump that needle).

d_dog

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Looking forward to seeing the post Mark. I have leaned this one the wrong way, as far as picking pattern goes and I have to re-learn it, I understand what you're up against.
Man this site is addicting, this is worse that Facebook! I got get back to work, oh ya, and play guitar!

MarkM

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:42 pm

So I go out and snowblow the driveway again and what am I doing? Wait for it........ counting the damn finger pattern in my head........Wow..

Dennis - C'mon....My songs are just hitt'n strings. :) :)

Michele - Yeah it's a brain cramp for me. Just look what I'm doing when I move snow around......

Dog- Addicting yes. I have a home office and when I'm not on the road I'm sitting at my desk. Work computer on one side and home PC on the other with TG up front and center. Oh and the guitar is 4 feet to my right. It's been a while since I've even visited FB. This is not a way to get in a productive day of work. Practice time, Yes.

MarkM

dekotaj

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey Mark.I no this is not what your looking for because your wanting to do a fingerpicking song.But if you like this song you can aways do it as a strum song.And the way this girl plays it.She uses the same fingering as Neil Youngs Needle & the damage done.Heck learn two songs at onces.Of course after you learn to fingerpick it.

jayswett

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 pm

I admire your courage in starting out with Dear Prudence as your first fingerpicking song. I might suggest trying House of the Rising Sun, Brain Damage, or Landslide as your first song. All of these are significantly easier than Dear Prudence, in my opinion. Incidentally, your experiene with Dear Prudence is identical to my experience with Never Going Back Again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic