Slightly Out Of Tune

KennyF

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Er KennyF, do you have a screw loose ... or is that a bolt? ;-)
It's a bolt. No meaning... It's just a bolt...

I was going to go with a Colt M4 Carbine, but I figured that might be a little over the edge. :laugh:

heyjoe

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 pm

ok, now I'm curious, why would putting a capo on a well tuned guitar make a difference? Have we inadvertently stumbled on an idea..a capo which doesnt put your guitar out of tune?

Is it because the pressure put on each string by the capo is slightly different, or is it something else? I'm sure some of the engineers on the site will be able to tell us.

Joe

haoli25

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Joe, it has been my experience that many of the 'clip on' capos, even though they are easy to use, most do not provide even pressure on ALL of the strings. This can causing mis-tuning or the more common 'buzzing' of the strings. A friend of mine, and a professional musician, introduced me to the PAIGE capos a couple of years ago. They WORK! They are not as easy to use as the 'clip-ons, but the do work. I have three of them, one for my acoustic, one for my classical guitar, and one for my 12-string. In fact, it is the only capo that I have ever tried that worked reliably on a 12-string.

Bill

hasben

Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Bill, I google PAIGE capos. Not really sure how they work but they look like they could double as a LOOK cycling pedal. :) (I think that comment will be lost on most folks here, but it was accurate)

Anyway, I have noticed some mistunes after I applied my "clip-on" and just assumed it was me. B string especially.

dennisg

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:07 pm

I have one of the Paige capos. What I like about it is that it's thin, so you're not constantly bumping into it when you change chords. But in terms of keeping my guitar from going out of tune when I capo up to, say, the 6th or 7th fret, it doesn't seem any better than the other capos I have. It's also more of a hassle to deal with because of the way it goes on.

sws626

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I use a G7 capo, which I'm happy with, but it does sometimes exhibit this problem. I'm not sure if it's a case of pressure applied unevenly or whether, perhaps -- depending on how close to the fret the capo is placed, and thus how sharp the angle of the strings -- some strings are slightly bent.

In any case, I'm now in the habit of tuning slightly flat and then fiddling with it for a couple of seconds.

KennyF

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I've been using one of those cheep spring loaded capos. I just put it through the paces with my tuner and it appears that no matter what fret it's on, the worst case scenario is that my low 'E' will go a little sharp. The rest are still in tune.

Also... Now that I'm home, I was able to upload a more appropriate avatar. :laugh:

KennyF

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:31 pm

sws626 wrote:
In any case, I'm now in the habit of tuning slightly flat and then fiddling with it for a couple of seconds.
Sounds like a winner to me. B)

AndyT

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:20 pm

I just tuned up exactly on the marks for each string and then tried my capo. All my strings go about 3 cents sharp. No real problem.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic