Just bought Guitar Pro 5...

mattroutley

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 am

Hi guys,

I just bought, the full program after using the demo for a couple of days. I need to get my head down now and work out all it can do...

However, if any of you more experienced users out there has any tips/tricks you've learned along the way then please post them here :)

(i have a bit of a problem with technology where i MUST know how to do everything that soft/hardware can do!)

Matt

BigBear

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:29 am

mattroutley wrote:
Hi guys,

I just bought, the full program after using the demo for a couple of days. I need to get my head down now and work out all it can do...

However, if any of you more experienced users out there has any tips/tricks you've learned along the way then please post them here :)

(i have a bit of a problem with technology where i MUST know how to do everything that soft/hardware can do!)

Matt

Matt- Buying it is the easy part! Figuring it out is incredibly difficult. And the manual is useless except to tell you what the buttons are supposed to do. and there are no tutorials or demos to work thru either.

I suppose every guitarist needs it but it's a real pain in the rear to use. It is not intuitive in the least.

Sorry to rain on your new software but I bought it a year ago and probably only use about 10% of what it can do.

Good luck my friend, you are going to need it! :cheer:

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:34 am

I find it fairly easy and intuitive to use. The functions are labeled in the manual and if you know what the function IS, then you have no problem. The thing you have to remember is that most of the functions are named after the exact same thing in regular music notation. The more theory you learn, the more sense GP makes and the easier it gets to use.

The only thing that gave me any trouble was getting the lyrics in, but once I had that, no problem.

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:01 am

Ive used Guitar Pro for years now and find it a great piece of kit to have. We have a Group dedicated to the software here:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... and+Tricks

Ask any questions you may have here or have a look your issue may have already been discussed.

mark

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 am

I'm a big guitar pro fan.
It does take a while to get used to but it's worth.

The main use I have found for it is just getting it to play the songs so that you can hear exactly how it sounds.
You can set a loop at whatever speed you want and it will keep repeating that section while you play along.
Great for making sure you are playing it right and then you can gradually increase the speed until you are at full speed.

mattroutley

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 am

I'm kinda hoping I can copy songs fr some of my PVG books and then loop them to help me learn the tracks. Is that easy enough to do? Haven't had much chance to look at it yet

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:52 am

Matt,
That is fairly easy to do but time consuming. But it is a great way to learn the program. And yes, you can do that. (loop sections)

AndyT

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:53 am

Chas, I'm gasping for air just looking at that pic!

mattroutley

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:12 am

AndyT wrote:
Matt,
That is fairly easy to do but time consuming. But it is a great way to learn the program. And yes, you can do that. (loop sections)
Sweet B)

Lavallee

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:10 am

mattroutley wrote:
I'm kinda hoping I can copy songs fr some of my PVG books and then loop them to help me learn the tracks. Is that easy enough to do? Haven't had much chance to look at it yet
Matt, entering the information of a music sheet into guitar Pro is difficult at first but once you start understanding how to do it, it becomes very benficial as you will start understanding standard notation. It will also help you understanding the program. You will also understand better what means stuff like time signature like 4/4 or 3/4.

The reason I am saying this is because that even if you transpose from a music sheet you have to follow the syntaxe. If you make a mistake in the bar you just finished , it will turn red and at the bottom of the page you will see that either the bar is exceeded or incomplete and just beside will show by how much (ex 4.500 : 4.000) meaning that you have half a beat too much.

Entering the information migth look a little overwhelming but as Chas and Andy mentioned, you find all the help here. I am wondering if it would be more benficial to have an official thread of Guitar Pro questions in the forum instead of in the user group. When a question comes out it doesn't not sit there for a few days and still everybody can see the questions and answers (unless they check the user group often)and migth help them if is more obvious than just in the user group. I think there is enough interest in the commumity for the software to be more public. Just a thought.

Keep in mind that the song you want to enter migth already be available by making a search of that song adding guitar Pro on your search string.

Matt, you made a great investment.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic