Izzy's Sunday Morning Ramblings

izzyhara

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:17 am

So it's Sunday morning in the CO mountains, and I have lots to ask/say. First of all, I wonder if I should be blogging?
First of all, I love all my new friends here.
Capo - take off the guitar when done playing? Or okay to leave on?
Action - so since I am older and have lost a lot of hand strength, should I consider adjusting the action on the guitar? Does that bring the strings closer and therefore they aren't as hard to press?
Comment - I am now sorry I spent so much on Facebook. I like this place better.
Focus - I certainly suffer from adult ADD, especially when it comes to the guitar. So I am going to allot myself 5 songs to perfect before going "ooo-pretty" and wandering off in another direction. Is 5 too few or too many?
Light gauge strings - just had my classical restrung and now need to do my acoustic. Neil says beginners should use light gauge strings. Are these the ones that can actually draw blood? :woohoo: Thoughts out there? Am I an awful person if I take it in for restringing, or should I tough it out? I always have my classical professionally restrung becase I HATE stringing it.
Bach Bourree - I read somewhere that a person cannot claim to be a guitarist until they can play this song flawlessly. Uh oh...
Well I hope you all have a great day. Thanks for the ramblings..

mmmbldo

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 am

Hi, Izzy. I can't help on the capo...haven't used one much. I do have a couple of comments on action and light strings. No need at all to feel bad for using light strings IMHO. Players at all levels use them. It ust depends on the sound and feel you want. If you are considering lowering the action, you should definitely try light strings first. They might solve your finger pain problem since they require less pressure to fret. Lowering the action can help too but could lead to string buzz depending on how much you lower it and how much room your guitar has for adjustment. If you decide to use light strings, this could affect the string height you need. Finally, your problem could possibly be helped by a truss rod adjustment rather than adjustment to nut and/or saddle height. Hope this helps.

izzyhara

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 am

Thank you so much !! I remember hearing about string buzz when the action is adjusted. I appreciate your reminding me of that. I think your advice is sound - I will restring with light gauge strings (I think that's what's on it - still have the strings that were on it when I bought it). Meanwhile, I am building strength and calluses so that it hopefully a short term problem. See ya !!

haoli25

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:50 am

Hi Izzy. I can't think of a better place to be than in the Colorado mountains. :)

Blogging: There is a BLOG button just above the MASTER MENU.
Capo: I have heard arguments from both sides, but for me, I always take it off before it goes back in the case at the end of the day.

Action: Just playing regularly should improve your hand strength. I have the action on all of my guitars set low, but not low enough to get all of that awful string buzzing. It is just a comfort thing for me.

Focus: I think you are right on the money with a 5 song focus. You can still sample some of the other 'candy' in the store as long as you don't abandon your 5 song core. Remember that some of the 'candy' can also help you develop or re-develop some useful techniques.

I have always used medium gauge strings until recently. I was lucky enough to add a Taylor 414CE to my collection and I found that Taylor recommends Elixr Nanoweb Extra Lights for their guitars. Sooooo, I gave 'em a try and I LIKE 'EM. :)

If you don't like to re-string your guitars, by all means take it in to your luthier. They may find another problem or potential problem that may cost you later. On the other hand, if you can get comfortable changing strings yourself, you will probably change your strings more often.
I have heard Bourree many times, I don't know that I have ever heard it flawlessly by any guitarist. Be careful when listening to classical guitarist, they will have you aiming for perfection with "Recuerdos De La Alhambra", Paganini's 24th Caprice, or Toccata & Fugue. lololol

Have a good one Izzy.

Bill

BRBbrb

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:02 pm

CO Rockies; how lucky - hope it's not as cloudy & foggy there as it is here :( I'm no expert; I did notice the other day after leaving my capo on all night, it was very out of tune.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi Izzy, the gentlemen have been in before with good advice.... I'll just second Bill on removing the capo.... better for your strings.
% songs is very frugal of you ;-) but if you want to narrow focus in the candy store, that's good. I take only one or two new songs to try out at a time but go back to others that I can play well for the practice and fun. Learning to focus time on the site is something we have all been faced with recently with all the new candy jars for our eyes and fingers.... I'm useless at it!!

lmc831

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I agree with Chris. With all the new lessons coming out after the new year, I have to try real hard to stay focus on the 6 songs I am still working on. But, i have to admit this new "Drip Feed" lesson that Neil has put out is a great way to practice new material...I also have to admit I get ADD with sticking with my lessons. Stay warm.

Lisa

jimcjimc

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:27 pm

I sympathize on the stringing topic. After I had my guitar about 3 months (and it never sounded right) I convinced myself the problem with the guitar sound was that the strings were old (not of course, it just sounded crappy due to my playing).

I took the guitar into the shop - the guy said my strings were fine, but he put on new strings while I watched, so I could learn how to do it myself. He said something like, " Oh yeah! Every guitarist should learn how to re-string their guitar." I even bought one of those string unwiders and 3-4 packages of guitar strings.

The next time I thought I needed to re-string, I tried it myself - it must have been about 3-6 months later. It didn't go well. I couldn't recall all the details - does the string go over or under as you do the loop, etc? I snapped 2 low E strings while trying to tune it. So, I took it in and had them re-string it.

Now, it's been over a year and again I am wondering should I take it in or try to do it myself.

dennisg

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:30 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Taylor recommends Elixr Nanoweb Extra Lights for their guitars.
Bill, after I read the above, I checked the Taylor site. They recommend Lights for their X14 series, not Extra Lights.

wrench

Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi Izzy,

Capo off. The foam that presses against strings is subject to "compression set", a physical property of foams to hold the shape they are forced into. It will fully recover if exposed briefly, and it will fully deform if exposed for extended periods.

Light strings. Neil recommends them, but my personal belief is that length of a session and the safety of your guitar are the variables here. If you can play 10 minutes on medium strings, you can play 20 on lights. You still played until your fingers hurt. Medium strings sound awesome on both of my guitars. Looks bad though, as I watch the bridges dive and the formerly flat tops bow upward behind the bridge. Guitars are mostly designed for 180 lbs of tension. A set of phosphor bronze mediums tuned to concert pitch exert 186.5 lbs. 80/20's are a little less, but right at the design limit of most guitars. The sound difference is dramatic, but a busted guitar makes *no* sound.

Action. Personal compromises here, and the simple answer is consult a luthier. The higher the action and the heavier strings, the better the guitar will sound. The destruction of your fingertips increases exponentially, though. The lower the action the easier the guitar is to play, but weakens its voice . I'm a curious and skilled fellow who could write a sizable amount about setups, and with some precision enhancements many luthiers don't know about. I can do awesome setups. For me. I have absolutely no idea how to setup a guitar for anyone else. Some of us have successfully setup our own guitars, but, many, many people here who have not setup their own report excellent results by nearly all luthiers. I recall only one or two folks here reported being disappointing results by their luthiers. If your a tinkerer though, and you don't mind risking a nut and a saddle, PM me.

Songs in process. Play until you advance no further. Then play something else for a week. When you hit the wall, your brain will sharpen your skills in the background. A week later, you'll probably discover improvement. Songs you can nail in 5 minutes are fun and keep you interested, but aren't hard enough to build you as a better player.

Just my $0.02 worth on a Sunday morning.

Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic