Izzy's Sunday Morning Ramblings

BigBear

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Izzy- you DO have a lot on your mind!! My wife is a new Facebook addict (playing that stupid Farmville game!) so I understand.

Bill and Dan gave you some really good advice so I won't repeat theirs but a couple of additional thoughts:

1. Capo always off unless you are playing in public and need it rally handy.

2. Songs- I have a core group of what I would call my "good stuff", songs that if someone said "play something" I could whip out. I hit these every day to stay sharp. Then I have a group of about 3-4 songs that are in serious song study. These are stretch songs that are over my head but I one day want to conquer. Then I have 3-4 new songs, or at least new to me. Usually these are a couple of TARGET songs and some non-TARGET songs like Thick as a Brick, Wond'ring Aloud by Jethro Tull, Nobody Knows by Clapton and Mad World by Tears for Fears and done later by Gary Jules. I don't want TARGET to become my whole musical universe.

3. Strings- It's just a fact that medium gauge strings just sound better. But they are harder on the guitar and on your fingers. But they project sound better (are louder). If you don't need these features go with Lights. I use .012-.052 or .053 strings exclusively (high E string). Once you find a string gauge you like- stick to it! And have your guitar set up for that gauge. A properly set-up guitar will have the little slots in the nut cut to that gauge. If you go larger gauge the strings will sit higher in the nut and your action will be off.

4. Action- lower is better but only to a point. If you amplify your music much/most of the time you can have a low action. If you don't, setting the action too low will cause buzzing if you strum, or pluck, too aggressively. Also, a very low action puts a high demand on your luthier and even very slight changes in the straightness of your neck will have a negative impact on your action and more buzzing.

5. Changing your strings- Do it yourself! What happens if you are away from home and you want (or need) to change you strings? You don't want to rush to a repair tech to get it done. Yes, it's a pain but it's also a good opportunity to polish your guitar and fretboard. There is an excellent thread going around from Taylor (of course) on how to change your strings. It isn't how I've done it but I will now. Really easy and quick. I think the thread is under "Coated Strings worth the price?

Good luck! :cheer:

izzyhara

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:10 pm

You guys are all so wonderful. It is SO nice to have people to sound off with. I have picked up some really good tips from you all, and I hope everyone learned too.
My last (hopefully) question of the day.... how do you reply and have the person's (to whom you are replying) discussion there? And just tell me if I am being a pain in the butt. Can you tell I am starved for guitar companionship?
Love ya all.... Izzy

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

izzyhara wrote:
You guys are all so wonderful. It is SO nice to have people to sound off with. I have picked up some really good tips from you all, and I hope everyone learned too.
My last (hopefully) question of the day.... how do you reply and have the person's (to whom you are replying) discussion there? And just tell me if I am being a pain in the butt. Can you tell I am starved for guitar companionship?
Love ya all.... Izzy
Click the quote button at the bottom of the post and it will do what it did here... above... you are welcome Izzy!

You can also just click th other quote icon above your post as after you click reply and then you can copy paste the segment you want to quote inside the brackets.

wrench

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:12 pm

izzyhara wrote:
Love ya all.... Izzy
click on the quote box in the lower right corner of the post

sorry. Chris beat me to it. Man, a new girl shows up, and we're tripping over each other.

lmc831

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Izzy, YOu can always "private message,(PM) someone if u want. Go to your profile page and set up your "Wall" application, so your list of "friends can send u a quick message. We love your questions!!

Lisa

ps. I sent u a friends request on your profile page...I think.

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 pm

HI Izzy, Just another one of these guys tripping over LOL

Capo off definitly, as has been said the capo will go out of shape if left too long also the guitar will need tuning, but hey you should tune before start each time anyway IMHO.

Number of songs , Whatever your comfortable with and make progress.

Action: Again whatever your comfortable with, I would receommend a Luthier though to do the initial set up, and be there if you can to watch and ask questions, I do most stuff myself now.

String type matter of preference and trial and error really.

Change strings , yep do it yourself, I know classical can be a pain, but steel easy, heres the link someone mentioned before: It's Elixir not Taylor, although it may be accessed via taylor. I don't do it this way but will be next time, I have an old rechargeable screwdriver calling out for conversion.

www.elixirstrings.com/tipsntricks/howto ... ustic.html

regards

Chas

PS The Blog is a good idea although not sure how many actually read them... If you need answers this is the best place.

izzyhara

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:40 pm

lmc831 wrote:
Izzy, YOu can always "private message,(PM) someone if u want. Go to your profile page and set up your "Wall" application, so your list of "friends can send u a quick message. We love your questions!!

Lisa

Thanks Lisa. I now have a "wall" and some friends, whatever all that means. :ohmy:

How do I PM someone?

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:55 pm

izzyhara wrote:
lmc831 wrote:

Lisa

Thanks Lisa. I now have a "wall" and some friends, whatever all that means. :ohmy:

How do I PM someone?
Two ways Izzy, from a thread in the Forum under the persons avatar you will see PM just click on that, or got the persons Profile page, to do that click on their username and you will see the 'Write a message. Easy peasy. When you know how! :)

sws626

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi Izzy,

I've come late to this thread and basically agree with everything you've been told so far. I keep my guitar in its case between sessions, so never thought about leaving the capo on. No harm to the guitar, I'm sure, but it can't be great for either the capo or the strings.

I've got medium strings on my guitar now and have just returned after a 30 year hiatus, so I share your finger pain. But after a week or so, the calluses are back. Your guitar manufacturer probably recommends a maximum gauge (for the reasons wrench mentioned). Since I only play alone at home and am not too concerned about projecting, I will try some lighter strings as well.

Focus is hard, especially with so much too choose from and so much exciting activity on this site. I'm working on one song that's a real stretch for me and requires a lot of work to make any progress at all. Then I have two or three that are relatively easy, but new to me. And I round it off with a couple of familiar tunes I play well. If I practice twice each day, I will devote one session to the tough new song and then spend the other session on whatever makes me feel good. I need to have the one tough song to keep me focused and the others to keep my spirits up.

-Stuart

tovo

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:21 pm

I reckon I'd rather be in the Rocky Mountains than in my office which is where I am now Izzy. Only plus is I have some good internet access here (Having some "issues" at home).

On the string question I would just recommend watching the Elixir video if you haven't already. Best tutorial on string changing you will see I think. Easy to follow and a couple of really neat tips.

On the number of songs, I really try to avoid ending up with a heap of songs that I can play bits and pieces of, so I really focus on only 1 or 2 at a time until I can play them right though, hopefully reasonably well. I saw a clip from Tommy E where he recommended that when learning a new song, to play nothing but that song every time you pick up the guitar until you've played it so many times it's ingrained. That might not be everyone's idea of fun, but it sure works. Takes discipline though.

Hey I enjoyed your "Sunday ramblings" and the responses that have followed. Nice thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic