Need another guitar!

mark

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

As others have said, maybe a Seagull.

I think you should up your budget, because you'll gonna need a seperate guitar each for daddad, dadgad, dadfad, open D and Open G just for starters.

Maybe as an opening bid you tell mrs Hasben that you need 5 new guitars and then go from there.

:laugh:

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:39 pm

mark wrote:
As others have said, maybe a Seagull.

I think you should up your budget, because you'll gonna need a seperate guitar each for daddad, dadgad, dadfad, open D and Open G just for starters.

Maybe as an opening bid you tell mrs Hasben that you need 5 new guitars and then go from there.

:laugh:
Yeah, Mark, I remember you... you're the dude that made off with Moonmuffin and my other stuff.... I like your idea-- starting at retail and settling for wholesale; but, Mrs. Hasben shops at WalMart and knows the market. :laugh: So, let's see: Seagull, Takimine, Yahama, Ovation, and er... Taylor. Is that 5?

izzyhara

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Well I am enjoying this thread. My advice? Don't play the $1000 Breedlove before you play the $400 one. That's what I did, and guess which one I came home with? Yea - the costly one.
This whole tuning thing is throwing me for a loop as well. I have two classical guitars (one old bomb and a newer Cordoba - yes I am totally guitar spoiled). The old bomb is tuned for Never Going Back Again - the new classical is for - well, classical. And now I want to undertake Judy Blue Eyes on the acoustic but all this tuning is so foreign to me. We discussed yesterday that I have really bad ADD so tuning doesn't allow me to wander lightly in some seductive direction. How crazy would it be for me to have another acoustic guitar? Let me know what you find. If I allowed my spouse to purchase yet another camera, there would be no issue if I purchased another guitar. Do you have any negotiation options like that?

dennisg

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm the only one on this site who's actually met Mrs. Hasben, and I can tell you unequivocally that the tough guy approach will not work with her. She'd neuter Fred with all his old dental tools. Come to think of it, I can't imagine an approach that will work -- except maybe this one: sell something of equal or greater value than the guitar you intend to buy. That way it's really a non-issue, even for Cee. And you just may find that you can buy a better guitar than you imagined.

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 pm

dennisg wrote:
I'm the only one on this site who's actually met Mrs. Hasben, and I can tell you unequivocally that the tough guy approach will not work with her. She'd neuter Fred with all his old dental tools. Come to think of it, I can't imagine an approach that will work -- except maybe this one: sell something of equal or greater value than the guitar you intend to buy. That way it's really a non-issue, even for Cee. And you just may find that you can buy a better guitar than you imagined.
No Denny, I will not sell one of my bicycles! But I do have some original acrylic paintings I could let go of. Still in the market? (I know, dangling again)
Also, the Neutering of Fred began long ago. I used to sing Bass, now I sing Tenor and Soprano is comming. :laugh:

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Izzy, I got your point. Mrs. Hasben, Cee, does have and gets just about anything SHE wants or needs; and I, in return, get to live in peace. So, as to any "trade-off" the deal is already done. :laugh: I have no chips in my corner, nor do I anticipate any. :laugh: :laugh:

wrench

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm

hasben wrote:
Dan, I read the above with interest. Do I understand correctly, my Dred is particularily suited for the drone, as in DadDad? Dang sure sound good to my ear; however, that could be that I have tried for years to copy the tuning on 4+20 and Judy Blue Eyes in standard-- impossible, I think. Really, all I want is a good second guitar so I don't have to change tunings during practice sessions. I saw a couple of Ovations and Yahamas. any thoughts?
Fred, I personally like the sound of a dred in alternate tunings, and to me makes a dred more versatile than a small-waist guitar, so if I had Martin D-15 and I'm going to play some DADDAD or Double Drop D, that's the one I'm reaching for. Not that I'm an expert on this stuff, but I preferred my cheap dred to do The Loner in Double Drop D over my better mini-jumbo.

Dan

goldleaf

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Fred, if you really have to stay in that $300 range I would look to a guitar wholesale w/ a good reputation. I have bought 3 guitars from
discountguitarwarehouse.com they sell mostly discontinued or overstock guitars, the ones I bought were like new. You can see the ones they have recently sold and whats coming next, but I would call them direct, their phone is listed on their site and talk to Scott the owner and he can tell you what it coming in in the next couple weeks. He sells Alvares, Michael Kelly, Takamine Yamaha Guild and several others. Most in the price range you are talking about. He also sells Tacoma guitars which there are a few left floating around wholesale stores. I have one and they are really nice solid wood guitars made in Tacoma WA. You can see a Guild I bought from there by looking at any on my video's, you will be seeing another Guild due to this DADDAD tuning thing, I had to break out another Guild "Contemporary Series" made in USA in 2007 A/E w/ cutaway so I don't have to change tuning all the time. Gary

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm

wrench wrote:
hasben wrote:
Dan, I read the above with interest. Do I understand correctly, my Dred is particularily suited for the drone, as in DadDad? Dang sure sound good to my ear; however, that could be that I have tried for years to copy the tuning on 4+20 and Judy Blue Eyes in standard-- impossible, I think. Really, all I want is a good second guitar so I don't have to change tunings during practice sessions. I saw a couple of Ovations and Yahamas. any thoughts?
Fred, I personally like the sound of a dred in alternate tunings, and to me makes a dred more versatile than a small-waist guitar, so if I had Martin D-15 and I'm going to play some DADDAD or Double Drop D, that's the one I'm reaching for. Not that I'm an expert on this stuff, but I preferred my cheap dred to do The Loner in Double Drop D over my better mini-jumbo.

Dan
Wrench, yes, the drop down tuning makes this D-15 sound great. Heck, I can play a chord that sounds great without my left hand! I had a gut feeling the "dred fred" was right for Stills, and it is not that I will never use it again for standard tuning, but I am by nature lazy and for 350 or so would like to be able to practice w/o twisting the tuners off. You know, much of this discusion would have been lost on me a few months ago, but I a working and learing and more importantly "hearing"; and this site has been invaluable. Thanks to all the forum guys/gals and esp. Neil, Matt and the crew. Fred

dennisg

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Here's a Taylor Big Baby on eBay, current bid is $143, one day left in bidding: http://cgi.ebay.com/Taylor-Big-Baby-307 ... 388wt_1167

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic