Need another guitar!

wadestar

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

BigBear wrote:
Fred- You coward!! Just march right in and tell Mrs. Hasben that you want a new Taylor guitar and its $3,500 and you don't want to hear any guff about it!! You're the man of the house and you need a new guitar!!

Who am I kidding? If I did that all my stuff, including my guitars, would be out in the driveway within an hour!!! :laugh:

Good luck buddy! $350 may be cutting it close. If you could swing $500 the options start to open up for new guitars. Take a hard look at Seagull, the best value in real guitars out there. But for $350 I'd go Craigslist or eBay. You'll get more for your money.

Cheers! :cheer:
I do not know how low the prices go with Seagull but if you want a higher end one you are looking at over $1000.00 I play a performer model so ya I paid just over $1000.00, very worth it, I am now saving for a Godin Summit CT also in the $1000.00 range. But yes I have seen good begginer model in a pawn shop $300.00 - $400.00 so hunt it out it is worth it. So look for used it is your best bet.

waggis

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Fred,
My guess is that soon you will have mastered the songs in DADDAD and open D tuning on TG, then you will be moving onto other open tunings. Proficiency at changing broken strings will be real handy and before long you will want a 3rd guitar. Have a look on Ebay or Craigs list for a good deal, but honestly, I wouldn't buy a guitar that I have never held in my hands.

David

reiver

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi Fred
Acoustic Magazine here in the UK recently did a review of 15 guitars under £200 – which I guess is in your range. Without getting into too many specifics – they did say of Yamaha “ known for quality construction and great tones........wonderful playability.......... solid tone woods used for top and bracing ....... no-nonsense approach to aesthetics ......... one of the worlds most experienced manufacturers ........ buy with confidence”. They would probably be my choice.

More generally, they recommended the following approach (probably more important on budget models);
1. Try playing several of the same model in the shop.
2. Check the machine heads for secure seating, particularly the post ferrules. This is essential for tuning stability and good intonation
3. Test intonation by playing the harmonic and fretted note at the 12th fret (they should be the same)
4. Listen for relative evenness in volume from bass to treble.
5. Have the guitar professionally set up.

Enjoy the hunt

r

izzyhara

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 pm

You know how I said earlier that I was really enjoying this thread? Well, guess what I have been doing the last two hours? Shopping for another acoustic guitar. I liked the post about Yamaha - my guitar when I was a kid was a Yamaha, which I traded in on a classical guitar when I went that direction. Glad to see they are still getting good reviews. Mine was a cheap-y but sounded good and held up for years. SO.... can I seriously have 4 guitars and a Roland piano? Is that too spoiled? Hell, I make a crapload of money... might as well spend it, eh?
What I haven't understood on this thread is Dan's talk (I think it was Dan) about dreds. What does that mean? And I think I know what a narrow waist is, but am not sure. My only problem with picking up a Yamaha is that my luthier is such a snob that he might be horrified when I want help with setup.
So who all is bidding on the Taylor?

AndyT

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

One of the guys I play with every week bought an Alvarez brand new for $150. After adding a couple sets of strings and a case and some other goodies, he spent the $300 and came out with a really nice package.

The guitar is quality. It is the RF20SC model. The only thing I don't care for is it is lacking the big bass end I'm used to on mine. But he has built-in electronics and can get the sound he wants amped. Something to consider.

mmmbldo

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm not big on buying a guitar sight unseen either, but this might be worth checking out. Musician's Friend sells a guitar called Silver Creek -- Chinese made, dreadnought or auditorium, rosewood or mahogany, all solid wood, $299 to $399. I watched a couple videos on the web, and they sounded pretty good and got pretty good comments. Good luck.

wiley

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

sws626

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:10 pm

izzyhara wrote:
[quote]...
What I haven't understood on this thread is Dan's talk (I think it was Dan) about dreds. What does that mean? And I think I know what a narrow waist is, but am not sure....quote]

Hi Izzy,

Dred (or drednought) is a name coined by Martin to describe a (massive) guitar body size. This is the sort of guitar you need if you want to drown out a banjo. Martin dreds begin with the model designation "D".

-Stuart

izzyhara

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:13 pm

sws626 wrote:
izzyhara wrote:
What I haven't understood on this thread is Dan's talk (I think it was Dan) about dreds. What does that mean? And I think I know what a narrow waist is, but am not sure....quote]

Hi Izzy,

Dred (or drednought) is a name coined by Martin to describe a (massive) guitar body size. This is the sort of guitar you need if you want to drown out a banjo. Martin dreds begin with the model designation "D".

-Stuart
Thanks so much Stuart. Things are coming together with all you guys helping me..... Izzy

tom18

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:29 pm

getting a guitar for a new tuning is a slippery slope my friend. You'll end up with as many as I have if you aren't careful.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic