Need another guitar!

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey guys and gals. After a weekend of learing how to post pictures and grow a mustache, I am now returning to actually picking up my guitar. The problem is that it is now tuned to DadDad. Now, my only guitar is a Martin D-15 and in the Stephen Stills tuning it so good I don't want to change it. I can see great things coming. I never really appreciated why one would need two guitars before, but... well now I have seen the light. Here's the deal: I don't want to spend over $350 dollars for my next one. I have to keep Mrs. Hasben happy. So, I plan to hit the pawn shops and do some looking. Question: Any thoughts on buying an inexpensive guitar? Make, model-- things to look for and things to look OUT for?
Thanks, Fred

Moondog

Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 pm

I recently bought a Taylor "Big Baby" the sound is good and the price was right.

Mike

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 pm

Moondog wrote:
I recently bought a Taylor "Big Baby" the sound is good and the price was right.

Mike
Mike, thanks, but the best deal I saw online was around 600. Outside the budget buddy. BTW: Your user name-- Moondog-- is interesting. I had an "old lady" back 69-70 named Moonmuffin. Any relation?

wrench

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Fred, you ask a tough question, my friend. This is only my opinion, you are welcome to do with it what you wish.

Dreds have a voice weighted such that an open strum yields a bassy tone. Concerts, Auditoriums, Jumbos, etc., i.e guitars with small waists have voices dominant in mids and highs, and in my opinion don't sound as robust when strummed. Therefore, I consider a Dred suitable for strumming or fingerpicking, but the small-waisted guitars more suitable for mostly fingerpicking. Watch the neck on the Dred to make sure it is wide enough if you want to fingerpick it.

In that price range for new guitars, I find Seagull and Yamaha to be good values. I know there are others, but I have looked at both of these closely. You are most likely to get a better initial setup from the Seagull.

Good Luck.

Dan

haoli25

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Fred, in your search be sure to check out eBay and Craigslist. Every once in awhile there is a very good deal to be had. Make sure you check it out completely and use an escrow account (PayPal, etc.) to protect yourself and you purchase.

Bill

BigBear

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Fred- You coward!! Just march right in and tell Mrs. Hasben that you want a new Taylor guitar and its $3,500 and you don't want to hear any guff about it!! You're the man of the house and you need a new guitar!!

Who am I kidding? If I did that all my stuff, including my guitars, would be out in the driveway within an hour!!! :laugh:

Good luck buddy! $350 may be cutting it close. If you could swing $500 the options start to open up for new guitars. Take a hard look at Seagull, the best value in real guitars out there. But for $350 I'd go Craigslist or eBay. You'll get more for your money.

Cheers! :cheer:

haoli25

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Shame on you, Rick! Are you trying to get Fred beat up? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

suziko

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:25 pm

How about an Alvarez? That's what my first guitar was, and it has a nice, full sound to it. I can't remember exactly what I paid, but I looked at the Alvarez catalogue, and they have a few models in your price range. Here's their web address:

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/

hasben

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Dan, I read the above with interest. Do I understand correctly, my Dred is particularily suited for the drone, as in DadDad? Dang sure sound good to my ear; however, that could be that I have tried for years to copy the tuning on 4+20 and Judy Blue Eyes in standard-- impossible, I think. Really, all I want is a good second guitar so I don't have to change tunings during practice sessions. I saw a couple of Ovations and Yahamas. any thoughts?

suziko

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Also, in support of what Wrench said, you might luck out with a Yamaha in that price range. A girlfriend of mine has a Yamaha that cost around $300, and it also has a really nice sound.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic