Need another guitar!

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 am

tovo wrote:
BigBear wrote:
Fred- You coward!! Just march right in and tell Mrs. Hasben that you want a new Taylor guitar and its $3,500 and you don't want to hear any guff about it!! You're the man of the house and you need a new guitar!!
Oh yeah! :laugh:

I'm very seriously contemplating Bear's frontal assault tactics on Mrs Tovo. It's been nice knowing y'all.
Well it was nice knowing you guys... :dry:

Fred, I know everyone is waiting on me saying Cole Clark, but they are not in your price range from what you've said and are never likely to be lol.

Taks do reasonable entry level guitars but be careful some are laminates and some of the early Chinese ones were not too flash.

eBay and online auctions are a good place to get a good deal, my Tak 12 worth circa $3000 i got for $500. Even better if the seller allows you to view and check it out first, obviously if seller is close.

Hydroman52

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Short answer:

With $300, I’d buy used. If I couldn’t find a nicked up higher end guitar at a super bargain, I would also look at Ovation, Yamaha, Alverez, and (possibly) Epiphone.

Long answer:

With a $300.00 budget, I wouldn’t be looking at a new guitar. I would look for something that is used and has a few nick, bumps, bruises, and memory marks that tend to bring the price down drastically (I prefer quality over looks). If you take your time, and watch carefully, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could leverage your budget into a good used one that originally sold for over $1,000 – 1,500 without too many compromises, especially in our current economy.

I have an Ovation Legend (deep bowl) that I bought in 1973 and still play. It is a fine sounding/playing instrument and very durable. I have seen similar on ebay selling in the $200 - $300 range. A few weeks ago, I played a Yamaha at a friend’s house and that was very nice. I don’t know what model it was, but it was similar in shape to a Martin OM. Action was very good, sound was good, it seemed well constructed, and was in very good condition. He had traded an electric bass valued at $200 for it.

I have played other Yamahas and brands such as Alverez and Epiphone. Those that I tried could have used adjustments to the action, but I have seen that with other higher end brands, too. It always seems that this aspect (action) is always a crap shoot when you get a guitar and I tend to assume that I will be hiring a luthier to do this when I find the one in which I am interested. But that’s just me.

Just to qualify myself, I have owned higher end Martins, Gallagher, Adamas, and lean toward spending more, but I wouldn’t turn my nose up at any of the brands that you are contemplating. Some of my most fun times have been spent sitting around campfires banging out songs on a $50 special.

Good luck . . . . and remember . . . . . sometimes the quest is more fun than the actual acquisition.

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 pm

You got it Hydo. I am looking for a really well used guitar that back in its prime was a quality instrument. Bumps, dents etc don't bother me--that way me and my guitar will be a perfect match. :laugh: Fred

wrench

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:48 pm

hasben wrote:
You got it Hydo. I am looking for a really well used guitar that back in its prime was a quality instrument. Bumps, dents etc don't bother me--that way me and my guitar will be a perfect match. :laugh: Fred
How about the action, Fred - low or high? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Wrench, re: Action: NONE. Nowdays, I "get my kicks above the waistline sunshine".

Catman

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 pm

wandoctor wrote:
getting a guitar for a new tuning is a slippery slope my friend. You'll end up with as many as I have if you aren't careful.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

sws626

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Catman wrote:
wandoctor wrote:
getting a guitar for a new tuning is a slippery slope my friend. You'll end up with as many as I have if you aren't careful.
You say that like it's a bad thing...
I started the day thinking this was a ridiculous thread and ended it shopping for a second guitar, or maybe a third. One for alternate tunings, three for other alternate tunings, one for travel, one in case the one for travel gets trashed, one to leave on the sofa for spontaneous adventure, one to keep in the car for queues (traffic jams) on the M25, one to take to work...

stratman3

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Besides Seagull and Breedlove, which I think are great quality guitars for the money, you might want to also consider checking out a brand called Tacoma, another great guitar.
Gary B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic