Simple tunes in Drop D tuning

kep67

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi
Any simple tune recommendations for Drop D tuning? For a 'beginner'. I can change most chords pretty quick.
I'm working on Rocky Mountain High (not simple for me) and I've tried Harvest Moon.
Like to have a couple other songs to try and just leave a guitar in Drop D for a while.

Thanks
Erik

suziko

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Dear Prudence is also in Drop-D

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I believe this is in Drop D (masters of the guitar, please correct me if I'm wrong). It just uses G D and Em , I think. Love this Ozzie song and I hope all our friends in Oz will back me up on this one. Love Johnny Williamson's stuff.

If anyone can show me how to play that fantastic riff, run-down at the end, I'd be one happy TGer!

wrench

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm

The Loner - Neil Young. Cinnamon Girl is pretty good, too.

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 pm

kep67 wrote:
[quoteI'm working on Rocky Mountain High (not simple for me)[/quote]

Erik:

I am working on this song right now as well. I spent yesterday afternoon writing out a transcription for myself.....long afternoon... :ohmy:

The strum pattern is fairly difficult for me. I am starting to get it down a bit more now though. The hammer-ons with my pinkie are also kicking my butt........How is it going for you?

Would love to compare notes. It is such a great old song. I am really hoping to have it down in a couple of months.

MJ

kep67

Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:45 pm

The hammer-ons and pull-offs are the tough part for me as well. there are a couple usefull lessons on Utube, but it takes a bit of work to get the feeling of the song. I don't have it yet. check out the lesson by goldhat3 and the cover by privettricker.
I've done much better lately after working on 'Norwegian Wood' - capo'd the same and the intro is also based on D with the 5th for hammer-ons. that tune is a good bit easier.

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:06 pm

Yep, the goldhat clip is decent. I have a pretty good tab, that came from the guitarist that used to play with John for a while. I can get the feel of it for the most part, but making actual strums while picking out the single notes throws my timing off something fierce. I am trying to slow it down a bit and use a metronome, but I still seem to miss the strums and just get the single notes. Sounds o.k., but I know it isn't right, so I am trying to force myself to figure out how to do it.

As much as I am struggling, I am having a blast trying to get it down. Hope you are having fun with it as well!

MJ

B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic