String question...

BigBear

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:33 am

hasben wrote:
MarkM, thanks for the video! I didn't know the steel wool trick to clean the frets but will give it a go. Also, does anybody know where to get the little plastic electric screwdriver gizzmo?
Fred

I was looking for the same thing. Amazon has a $20 Black and Decker cordless screwdriver that got great reviews and they sell a couple kinds of winders. :cheer:

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:46 am

Bearzie, I have some extra screwdrivers that I don't use because they don't have enough torque for most tasks. (Have I mentioned I am a "handyman"? Crafty too. :laugh: Anyway, the little plastic winder is 3.99 made by Spin Doctor. Looks like another one-use-only doodad that I now just got to have. :) FD

BigBear

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 am

hasben wrote:
Bearzie, I have some extra screwdrivers that I don't use because they don't have enough torque for most tasks. (Have I mentioned I am a "handyman"? Crafty too. :laugh: Anyway, the little plastic winder is 3.99 made by Spin Doctor. Looks like another one-use-only doodad that I now just got to have. :) FD

As the famous Greek philosopher said "He who dies with the most toys wins!!! :laugh:

haoli25

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:14 pm

As I am sure to lose one, I bought two! :laugh:

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:32 pm

haoli25 wrote:
As I am sure to lose one, I bought two! :laugh:
Bill, you are a man after my own heart! If one is good, two must be better. Especially if you live in Hulaland. Just wondered, does Amazon offer their free shipping on selected items to Hawaii? FD

dennisg

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:04 pm

BigBear wrote:
Simon- I think string wear is based on:

1. Quality of the string and type (coated vs. non)
2. Body chemistry (skin oils and acids)
3. Hours of play
4. Style of play (fingerstyle, bluegrass etc.)

With these variables it is impossible to predict how long a set of strings will last. Neil changes his strings every two weeks with uncoated strings. I get about 3 months from a set of coated strings (Cleartone or Elixir Nanos) and maybe a month from uncoated strings.

Good luck! :cheer:
I would add another one to this very good list:

5. Your willingness to wash your hands before playing. It's amazing how much gunk your fingers collect in the course of an hour. Pick up your guitar, and that gunk becomes mortar in the windings of the strings. I use soap and cold water to wash my hands so that I don't soften the callouses. Going on 5 months with my current set of Elixir Nanos.

f18pilot

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:01 am

Awesome, thanks everyone for your replies!

Read through every post and certainly learnt a lot!

Just one thing, do i need a special program or something to view those videos? Cause they dont seem to be working for me... :(

Thanks again

Simon

thereshopeyet

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks

frybaby

Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 pm

electric winders can now be found at Guitar Center, at least here in Houston Tex.

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:03 pm

I've seen an advert for an electric winder thats also a tuner, Robot Tuner/Winder kinda thing, looked cumbersome though, I'll see if i can find it again and post a pic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic