String question...

f18pilot

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 am

On my new guitar it came with these Elixir strings which are apparently supposed to be quite good...

On reading the label it states that strings should last on average 6 weeks before replacement!
Is this a typo?? Or maybe do you have to be playing like Tommy Emmanuel or someone to wear down strings that fast...?

Not to big an issue but a question of mine none the less

Cheers,
Simon

AndyT

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 am

6 weeks is a long time. I change mine about every 3 weeks.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 am

Yikes, really? 3 weeks? Hm...How many hours a day to you need to be playing to have that much wear and tear? Do most people change their own strings?

The guitar I ended up getting was a floor model...so I guess that means the strings are pretty mush shot then. I can see that there is dirt in some places. Lol I guess that'd be an indicator that it's time to get new strings, hmm?

*is clueless* :pinch:

(see Simon, there's no dumb questions...thanks for starting this thread)

tom18

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 am

Simon,
Welcome to TG from New Jersey. When I bought my guitar in December '08, the salesperson also suggested that I change my strings about that often. In early '09 when I began lessons with a friend who is also a professional guitarist, he told me to basically play them until they break. I left that set of strings on the guitar until recently and I can positively tell you that is not a good idea. Although they never broke, there was considerable wear on them and corrosion of the metal. Having the strings completely wear it is not a concern to me but corroded strings in contact with the frets is. And the sound of new strings is incomparably improved. I'm planning to change them at least 3-4 times a year in the future. I hope this helps.
Tom

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 am

Simon, I changed my strings on my 12 string in summer and I'm still playing them now... no problem. It will sound great when I get new ones again but your coated strings will last several months, no problem. It's not like it's Federer changing strings every 30 minutes or so!! ;-)
And it's easy to know when it's time... when they feel bad and sound bad... change!

MarkM

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 am

Simon,

Welcome aboard. Since you have a floor model I would suggest you change the strings now. You can stay with the Elixir's as they are very good. By sayting that you can see dirt on them and not knowing how long they have been on there at the store, a fresh set will do both you and the guitar some good. Once you have the new ones on then you can determine from there how long they will last you based on your playing style and amount of time a week you practice. 6 weeks is longer than I ususally go but this may be fine for you. You'll know over time what your preference is. Here is a link to how to change them of you haven't done it before.

Part 1

Part 2

Hope this helps.

MarkM

wrench

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 am

Welcome to TG, Simon, and you have just asked one of two questions you can ask here with bigger answers than you can imagine. We recently had a lengthy discussion about strings to which I included the link for you. The short answer is try different strings until you find the sound you like, and change them when sound bad to you. Depending on *a lot* of variables, most of us are getting 1 to 2 months on a set of strings, and Elixirs a little longer, maybe 3 to 6 months.

wrench

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... -the-price

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the cleaning and stringing videos Mark..... now I know how to do it right!

BigBear

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:00 am

Simon- I think string wear is based on:

1. Quality of the string and type (coated vs. non)
2. Body chemistry (skin oils and acids)
3. Hours of play
4. Style of play (fingerstyle, bluegrass etc.)

With these variables it is impossible to predict how long a set of strings will last. Neil changes his strings every two weeks with uncoated strings. I get about 3 months from a set of coated strings (Cleartone or Elixir Nanos) and maybe a month from uncoated strings.

Good luck! :cheer:

hasben

Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 am

MarkM, thanks for the video! I didn't know the steel wool trick to clean the frets but will give it a go. Also, does anybody know where to get the little plastic electric screwdriver gizzmo?
Fred

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic