a few more amp bassics...

TGBob

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 am

bass amps come in several incarnations, however, the two main components are the head and the speaker cabinet. the head is where all the main electronic components of the amplifier reside and where you plug in your bass. the output of the amp head is then sent to the speaker cabinet, the cabinet is the enclosure housing the speaker/speakers. the head is typically is divided into the preamp and power amp sections. the head and cabinet can also be combined into one unit known as a combo amp.

preamp: When you plug your instrument into the amp input, the first place your signal goes is to the preamp. with the preamp you can adjust the tonal qualities of the bass signal. preamps are typically designed with a particular instrument in mind, a guitar preamp is designed to make the tonal quality of a guitar sound better and a bass preamp is designed to make the tonal quality of the bass sound better.

power amp: once the input signal has been shaped by the preamp, it is sent to the power amp which in turn takes the signal and essentially gives it more power to drive the speaker cabinet.

speaker cabinets: a cabinet is essentially a box containing one or more speakers. cabinets come in many different sizes. the size is typically described as the number of speakers and the size of the speakers in inches. 1 x 15 cabinet means it contains one 15” speaker. 4 x 10 cabinet contains four 10” speakers etc. a solidly constructed enclosure is essential for a bass cabinet. the cabinet corners should also be tough and protected. since most cabinets tend to be heavy and you’ll be moving them a lot, be sure they have sturdy handles, for really heavy ones, wheels or casters are nice...

TGMatt

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:58 am

Great Post Bob...Thx mate ,..

Seeya friday !

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:03 am

Hiya Bob. Do we have any bass lessons here on TG? I'd really love to see you being kept busy on the forum but I think some Bass lessons would go far in helping that.

TGMatt

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 am

Andy were doing stuff at our pace mate...Not keeping you busy enough with the 6 lessons and videos in the last 2 weeks mate ??..

TGBob

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:09 am

got some bass lessons in the oven...

AndyT

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 am

Matt, LOL I had no idea if you had Bass lessons planned or not, so I figured I'd ask.
I'm already so busy with the stuff I'm working on I almost cringe when new ones come out for fear I'll get distracted again.

I'm loving it though!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic