Guitar Pro Question

dynamohm

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:50 pm

First off I'm worse on the computer than I am on the guitar, so I got that going for me. I have had Guitar Pro on my Mac computer for a year. I joined this site a few months ago. My question is how do I get the files from this site to Guitar Pro. I used to use a website called Ultimate guitars.com . When you found a song you wanted to learn, you would click the tab with guitar pro next to it and it would load to my desktop. Then all I had to do is click it and it would open guitar pro with that song loaded. When I click the GP5 tab on this site all I get is a bunch of letters and weird symbols. I hope some one can steer me in the right direction

Thanks in advance,

Chris

BigBear

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Really simple. Just copy and save the .gp5 file from this site and then when you open GP just open the file in whatever directory you saved it in. It will load right into GP.

Good luck and happy playin! :cheer:

Lavallee

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:04 pm

It is interesting that when I do it I have no problem (double click on the GP file from this site and no funny caracters coming up when ). I wonder if there migth be a setting or a version difference. I am using version 5.2. Let us know if saving the file first help

Marc

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Shouldn't be a Guitar Pro version problem as the GPro opens all earlier iterations of GPro files. I.E. I hve the latest GPro 5.2 and it opens GPro 3 files. Check out GPro site , providing you have a legal copy that is and go to their support pages they have a lot of fixes to many issues, plus if not their contact aspect is usually very good..

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Could it be that you are opening the ".gp5" file in text mode, such as in the "Notepad" program? Accidents can happen that mess up the default usage of a file type.

To check this, right click on the ".gp5" file, select "Open With", and you should see "GP5.exe" as the default program for opening this file.

If "GP5.exe" is not the default, then select "Browse" and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Guitar Pro 5" and select "GP5.exe".

Also verify that the checkbox "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" has a checkmark in it.

Note: On Windows Vista, the GuitarPro program is rather in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guitar Pro 5".

Hope this helps

Pierre

Lavallee

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Shouldn't be a Guitar Pro version problem as the GPro opens all earlier iterations of GPro files. I.E. I hve the latest GPro 5.2 and it opens GPro 3 files. Check out GPro site , providing you have a legal copy that is and go to their support pages they have a lot of fixes to many issues, plus if not their contact aspect is usually very good..
I agree with that, Chas.I was thinking more in the sense of having an older version than 5 would be a problem opening GP 5 files.

Marc

BobR

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I use Firefox and I just click on the file and it opens in Guitar pro. I get this screen. I guess you can browse and then just select gp5.exe

Bob

BobR

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Sorry my image paste didn't work

Bob

Lavallee

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Chris , which file from this site are trying to open?

Marc

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:26 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Could it be that you are opening the ".gp5" file in text mode, such as in the "Notepad" program? Accidents can happen that mess up the default usage of a file type.

To check this, right click on the ".gp5" file, select "Open With", and you should see "GP5.exe" as the default program for opening this file.

If "GP5.exe" is not the default, then select "Browse" and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Guitar Pro 5" and select "GP5.exe".

Also verify that the checkbox "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" has a checkmark in it.

Note: On Windows Vista, the GuitarPro program is rather in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Guitar Pro 5".

Hope this helps

Pierre
I'd agree with most of this, but the location of Guitar Pro in Vista may not necessarily be correct, e.g. mine is "C:\Program Files\Guitar Pro 5\GP5.exe"

More likely its your default setting, I had that issue a while back (years ago) and once i set up the default properly no worries anymore.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic