Left Handed Ukes?????

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey everyone:

I have been looking at ukes lately. Being a lefty, as usual, it is hard to find anything...... :(

I did several searches on the net and found that there are a few brands that do make lefties, but not many...... :(

However, I came across many, many sites that simply said to take the strings off and restring the uke for a lefty. I know that on the guitar, that is easier said than done. I would have to change the nut and the saddle. Also, it can cause some issues with bracing. Several of the articles I read said that this is not as much of a problem on a uke. I would love any feedback and opinions on this. If I CAN just buy a righty and restring it, that would be SWEET!!!!!! B)

Thanks!

MJ

dennisg

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Good news, MJ. I've got a Pono soprano uke, and there are no groves in the bridge, so that's not a problem. There are very shallow grooves in the nut, but the 1st and 4th strings are the same gauge, so they can be swapped, and the 3rd and 4th strings the same gauge, so they also can be swapped. Looks like you're A-okay to blow a bundle on a uke.

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:29 pm

dennisg wrote:
Good news, MJ. I've got a Pono soprano uke, and there are no groves in the bridge, so that's not a problem. There are very shallow grooves in the nut, but the 1st and 4th strings are the same gauge, so they can be swapped, and the 3rd and 4th strings the same gauge, so they also can be swapped. Looks like you're A-okay to blow a bundle on a uke.
Dennis:

That is pretty much what most of the sites were saying too. That is indeed good news! Now I just need to do a little more research on the ukes themselves. There are many different types to choose from and I am not that educated on them yet.

Thanks!

MJ

dennisg

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:09 pm

I can't begin to predict what your budget is for a uke, but they come in every price point imaginable. The nicest one I played was made by National Resonator, the company that makes those unique resonating guitars. While most ukes sound childishly tinny, the Nat Res models sound full and loud. Of course, you're going to spend a hefty amount to get that sound, relative to other ukes. But that's what I'd get if I were in a uke-buying frame of mind.

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks Dennis. My budget is fairly flexible. I just need to read more about Soprano vs. Concert vs. Tenor vs. Baritone..... Not sure which one would be best suited for just playing around. I think maybe the Soprano.... :) I will see if anyone local has the Nat Res models. Thanks for the lead.

MJ

AndyT

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:53 am

Personally, I'd go for the baritone. It has the kind of sound most people who play guitar prefer. It's a fuller sound and carries more overtones where a soprano doesn't.

Ukes are a dime a dozen here and I see and hear them all the time. My wife plays an 8 string baritone solid Koa by Pono. Very nice and beautiful sound.

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:16 pm

AndyT wrote:
Personally, I'd go for the baritone. It has the kind of sound most people who play guitar prefer. It's a fuller sound and carries more overtones where a soprano doesn't.

Ukes are a dime a dozen here and I see and hear them all the time. My wife plays an 8 string baritone solid Koa by Pono. Very nice and beautiful sound.
Andy:

I sent my dime, so when you send my dozen, make sure at least one of them is set up lefty for me.....lol

Thanks for responding. By any chance do you ever see lefties over there, or is it pretty much like we are discussing here that they are just switched out due to the similarity of the strings.....?

MJ

(BTW - enjoyed your open mic post - looked like fun!)

AndyT

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Yes, just flip the strings around and you should be set. It's not really set up for left or right handedness.

Lots of fun on the open mic. Try it sometime!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic