Travel Guitar Choices

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:05 pm

I have the Mahogany Baby Taylor and like it pretty well. I would agree with you about the neck. My standard use of it is more for backpacking in the Sierras though and not for traveling on a plane or other mass transit. I also have a Martin Backpacker, but you have to get the strap positioned perfectly to make it playable and the tone is quite a bit less enjoyable than that of the Baby Taylor (works in a pinch though). When you do find something and make your purchase, I would be very interested in your feedback.....

MJ

AndyT

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:24 pm

I wasn't going to post this, but what the heck.

My granddaughter has a First Act guitar. Not the little bitty one, then medium sized one. It's a small guitar made for kids and priced as such. But I fixed the tuners on it and it actually sounds fairly good. I put real strings on it, not the WalMart ones, and it has a good sound. It's far from anything I'd want to play a show on but for messing around on a trip, its the perfect size.

goldleaf

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm sure you've checked out the Little Martin. I bought one a couple years ago w/ the spruce top. I find that it has a good tone and sustain but it is almost the same size as the baby taylor. I did buy a bone bridge and pins which upgraded the sound quite a bit. It comes with a very substantial gig bag that you might be able to find a way to put your laptop in. The guitar is fun to play and easy for me to take on driving and airplane vacations, but it may not be small enough for you. I can't wait to see what Matt has up his sleeve. Gary

sws626

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know what I decide.

But, for now, I'll sit tight and wait for Matt's announcement.

sws626

Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 am

TGMatt wrote:
Hey all

Neil and I have a very special announcement and video coming on travel guitars..

I am the ultimate traveller..

We have what we believe to be just a terrific answer, ...

So please stay tuned...

Cheers

Matt

sws626

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:10 am

Still waiting with great interest to hear what Matt and Neil have been working on...

But, in the mean time, I've gone ahead and ordered one of these from Lapstick:

It meets my personal requirements for extreme portability.

-Stuart

Catman

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 am

Cool! What color?

When you get it, I would dearly like to hear your thoughts regarding switching to and from the short scale.

David

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:00 am

Hey Stuart, they look really cool... how the heck do you hold one?

sws626

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi David,

I chose a black one, mostly becuase it was the most attractive of what they alreayd had built. It should arrive this week. I may upload a little duet (PiP) with the Martin once I get comfortable with it.

Chris,

You have to wear the special strap that I understand balances it rather nicely. But I'll let you know once I figure it out myself.

-Stuart

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:24 pm

... and how much poorer are you because of it Stu?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic