Travel Guitar Choices

wadestar

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:37 pm

So middle of the road price, have you tryed one for sound quality? or is more something to beat on when out of town, I have a cheap pressboard guitar that I would burn if drunk enough. Now that is a travel guitar to me one you do not give a S**t about.

Catman

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

What about the Yamaha SLG100 silent guitar? Steel and nylon strings versions are available.

It needs earphones, but on the other hand, you won't get the hotel staff knocking on your door telling you that the couple with the noisy brat in the next room are complaining.

wadestar

Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Catman wrote:
What about the Yamaha SLG100 silent guitar? Steel and nylon strings versions are available.

It needs earphones, but on the other hand, you won't get the hotel staff knocking on your door telling you that the couple with the noisy brat in the next room are complaining.
No need to burn or smash that one!

tovo

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:09 am

wadestar wrote:
So middle of the road price, have you tryed one for sound quality? or is more something to beat on when out of town, I have a cheap pressboard guitar that I would burn if drunk enough. Now that is a travel guitar to me one you do not give a S**t about.
I have one. (Diesel Special). This is a serious guitar with the same electronics Maton put in their top of production line dreads. It's solid Blackwood not HPL.

Here's the guy it was named after playing the 12 string model on stage:

wadestar

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:20 am

That was nice small 12 but sounded good

TGMatt

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:31 am

Promise you guys we are going to surprise you with what I have been testing..

sws626

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am

Catman wrote:

Thanks, David. I'd considered the Yamaha. And there are similar offerings from Aria, SoloEtte, Miranda and Santini. The silent aspect has its appeal -- and is a feature shared by the Stewart, Traveler and Lapstick models.

My brief review of the field reveals five basic design types to choose from:

[ol]Small bodied guitars (Baby Taylor, Martin Backpacker, Mini Maton, Washburn Rover, Composite Acoustics Cargo).

Folding/detachable neck full body guitars (Voyage-Air, Brunner Outdoor).

Folding/detachable neck electric guitars (Stewart).

Headless full scale electric and silent acoustic guitars (Yamaha, Aria, SoloEtte, Steinberger Synapse, Traveler).

Headless fractional scale siltent guitars (Lapstick).[/ol]
Leaving aside for the moment the wide variation in cost, the two primary considerations must surely be:

[ol]How will it be played?
How portable does it really need to be?[/ol]
Everyone will have their own answers to these questions. But, in my case, the guitar will really only be played for my own enjoyment in a hotel room or airport lounge. And it needs to be portable enough to carry on board without hesitation along with my laptop (i.e., it can't exhaust my carry-on allowance or make me think twice about lugging it). So only being audible through headphones is fine, but it cannot really be longer than 20in or heavier than a few pounds.

Others may have other priorities that lead them to make different choices, but in my case, only the Stewart and Lapstick models fully meet these requirements -- though the ukulele and mandolin options come close.

Another factor is that something that fits into my laptop bag stands a good chance of being overlooked by my wife -- or at least not being identified as another guitar.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Matt and Neil have come up with.

-Stuart

songman52

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:55 am

C'mon Matt, don't tease us or keep us in suspense. I'd like to find something to take with me when I visit Oregon each year.

Jerry

sws626

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:10 am

Man that is one fine guitar, Tony. And a great treatment of that classic Harry Nilsson tune. I must say, the idea of a smaller guitar built with quality material and to high standards is very appealing. I would really like to play a Maton sometime.

frybaby

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Matt;
Will non members be able to take advantage of the news coming out about travel guitars?
Its no fun being a second class citizen Nnow I know how the immigrants feel.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic