HELP! "Sticky" Guitar Neck

donagh

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:24 am

Hello again everyone, just an update on the sticky guitar neck problem.
I have received a note from the supplier of the guitar which indicates that they believe that the problem is common among Martin guitars with this sort of finish. Further that it will eventually harden and cease to be a problem.
I appreciate the response from the supplier, to date no response from Martin guitars.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Keep Plucking Martin
B)

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 am

Hello Martin,

It is very possible that, in the near future, I may be looking at another Martin guitar. I have a 2002 with a gloss neck, and I have no problem with it being sticky. Another one is a 2008, but it has a satin neck finish with a gloss body (I like the satin finish on the neck a bit more) with no problems of it being sticky. Just for future information, do you know how old your guitar is? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long this "curing" time might be.

Thanks!

donagh

Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:16 am

Hydro.
This one is brand new to me. I ordered it in April 2009 and it was delivered Jan 2010.
The sound from what is a smallish body is amazing and I am coming round to the modified V neck.
Hope this helps.

hasben

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Astroglide? :laugh:

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:47 pm

Martin,

Thanks for that information. That was an important piece of the puzzle that I was missing. If it isn't too much of a bother, would you re-post to this thread when you notice an improvement, even if it is a month or two down the line. I would be very interested in finding out the time frame that it takes for the finish to settle in. I have a number of friends that would be interested in this, too.

Enjoy that fine instrument. I know what you mean about your "smallish body" comment. The sound is quite remarkable in the ECs.

Thank-you!
Hydroman52

sws626

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Hello Hydroman,

Just for the record, I have the same guitar, also purchased new in January 2010 and have not had this issue (yet).

-Stuart

Hydroman52 wrote:
Martin,

Thanks for that information. That was an important piece of the puzzle that I was missing. If it isn't too much of a bother, would you re-post to this thread when you notice an improvement, even if it is a month or two down the line. I would be very interested in finding out the time frame that it takes for the finish to settle in. I have a number of friends that would be interested in this, too.

Enjoy that fine instrument. I know what you mean about your "smallish body" comment. The sound is quite remarkable in the ECs.

Thank-you!
Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:56 pm

sws626 wrote:
Hello Hydroman,

Just for the record, I have the same guitar, also purchased new in January 2010 and have not had this issue (yet).

-Stuart
Hey Stuart,

Thanks for the information. It is reassuring that this issue is probably the exception rather than the norm. I would assume that you like your new guitar as much as Martin likes his.

Hydroman52

sws626

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Yes, Hydroman, I absolutely love this guitar and highly recommend it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic