HELP! "Sticky" Guitar Neck

donagh

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Folks, greetings from Northern Ireland.
Dont know if this is a technical issue or not but here goes anyway. I am finding that the back of my guitar neck, Martin 000-28 EC, feels kinda sticky! I have tried Martin polish, Planet Waves Shine and a gentle wash with soap and warm water but it still is sticky. I dont have this problem with any other guitar.
Does anyone else have this problem and more to the point can anyone suggest a solution to this "sticky" problem.

Many Thanks Martin.

sws626

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Martin,

Do you mean that when you wipe it down it remains sticky or do you mean the stickiness returns? I've noticed some residue from my hand on the neck, but it comes off easily with a dry cloth.

-Stuart

donagh

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Stuart it appears that the neck has a gloss finish ad it remains sticky-ish. :unsure:

jayswett

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 pm

I can see why that would be annoying. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to offer in terms of a solution, but I have no doubt that someone will offer precisely that.

dennisg

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 pm

I would consider using baby powder on my hands. That will act as a dry lubricant.

mmmbldo

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Similar to Dennis' answer, I was thinking of cornstarch. That might absorb whatever is sticky, then help your hand glide. When dry, it is pretty slick.

Hydroman52

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:34 pm

The 000-28EC is a fine instrument. I was looking at one, but wound up with an M-38 (aka 0000-38) Custom just because it was a bit less expensive. Here is something that might help. It is from a 2009 article from Acoustic Magazine reviewing a Martin 000-42ECM. I would think it should be somewhat similar to your guitar except with a little different ornamentation and Madagascar rosewood for back and sides. I think that the finish is the same.

“The gloss finish feels a little sticky, but that’s not uncommon with a nitrocellulose finish, and it’s likely to improve with playing.”

Here is the article, I don’t think you need to subscribe to read it:

http://www.acousticmagazine.com/index.p ... &Itemid=52

If you think it is unnaturally sticky, you might try calling the Martin Guitar Company to see if they have recommendations. If you are the original owner, and there is something wrong with the finish, it may be covered under warrantee.

Here are some things that you might ponder if you haven’t already. Was the neck finish fine before you used the Martin and Planet Waves products on it? Do you think that, maybe, something loosened he finish? Is it the entire neck that is affected, or only part of it? You might check to see if there are strange materials that come in contact with the guitar that might react with the finish. Possibly any vinyl on a guitar stand?

If you find the solution to your problem, let us know.

Good luck.

haoli25

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm

Martin, a few years ago a luthier recommended I use "SMITH PRO FORMULA POLISH" on all of my guitars, including my Taylor and Martin. It is safe for all guitar finishes and it works! It is a very mild cleaner and polishes to a high sheen.

Bill

Moondog

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Not too long ago I bought a new Gibson SG Standard and when I got it, like yours, the back of the neck was sticky. There was nothing I could do to get rid of it. After a few months it was fine just needed to finish curing. I guess the job the Quality Control person did was poor to say the least. Never should a guitar go out the door like that but it did. Now its great, the only problem is I hung it while I was letting it cure and left marks under the head from the hanger.

Mike

goldleaf

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Martin, is the neck sticky all the way up and down or is it mostly near the top registers, around the 12th - 14 th frets. Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic