HELP! "Sticky" Guitar Neck

donagh

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Folks again overwhelmed by the offers of help. I had thought of trying the "baby powder" myself as it is something which is used on "sticky" snooker/pool cues. I assume the powder wouldnt harm the guitar wood in any way?
Hydroman52 I had a browse at that article and I would say that explains the problem exactly, so I look forward to the improvement as and when it happens. ps lovely dog!
Goldleaf its the whole way up the neck.
Thanks again folks I will keep you updated.

Martin

:cheer:

dekotaj

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:15 pm

try lighter fluid on a cloth. If that doesn't get rid of the sticky feeling, it's the nitro...

If it's the nitro, you could try an application of Butcher's wax.

sws626

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi Martin,

A few weeks ago, Chas posted a link to this website on guitar care and I just remembered reading a 10 year old exchange there about the alleged softening of finish on a Martin 000-28 -- not on the neck, but on the body -- possibly in reaction to body oils or possibly in reaction to the polish used. Whatever the cause, Martin sorted it out for him.

Here's the link:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General ... oftLacquer

Chasplaya

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 pm

sws626 wrote:
Hi Martin,

A few weeks ago, Chas posted a link to this website on guitar care and I just remembered reading a 10 year old exchange there about the alleged softening of finish on a Martin 000-28 -- not on the neck, but on the body -- possibly in reaction to body oils or possibly in reaction to the polish used. Whatever the cause, Martin sorted it out for him.

Here's the link:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/General ... oftLacquer
This is a great site with lots of useful tips. I'd forgotten about this particular issue that was discussed. I would be going back to the supplier in this case as it sounds like a manufacturing issue, and if you dabble to much you run the risk of nulling the warranty.

donagh

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:36 am

Thanks again Stuart, interesting article. Due to where I live returning the guitar would be impractical and involve a lot of hassle etc. I am conscious that this is a very expensive guitar and reluctant to expose it too much to the UK postal system!
I think I will simply hope! that the neck improves with playing and maybe try a little baby powder.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your EC.
Martin

AcousticAl

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:08 am

I wasn't kidding about the lighter fluid. It sounds like I was, but no. A word of warning, if you have a guitar with an old fashioned french polish, don't use it. With nitro it is perfectly safe though.

If the finish is not to your liking, you can also go the new car route, using clay bars and a high quality wax. It'll be slicker than goose sh!t, as grandpa used to say.

donagh

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:10 am

Thanks again I just e-mailed the supplier to see if they can solve the problem.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 pm

donagh wrote:
Thanks again I just e-mailed the supplier to see if they can solve the problem.
If it were me with a high end guitar I'd be contacting Martin direct, they have a pretty good reputation for getting behind their product. Plus with a known issue they most likely have the solution.

sws626

Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:10 pm

Chas is right. It's worth a call to Martin. Although their official stance is that guitars purchased outside the US are "warranty free" and serviced at the discretion of the local distributors, I know they have been responsive to such issues in the past.

Otherwise, Wandoctor's suggestion to use a clay bar on the neck sounds like a good one. I'd lubricate it with water, though, rather than detailing spray.

-Stuart

donagh

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:19 am

Stuart, I e-mailed Martin and the local supplier so I am awaiting a response from either, or both.
Hopefully we can get the problem sorted, thanks again.
Martin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic