Looking for peoples advice regarding Guitar pro.

beaker

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:48 pm

I have heard about guitar pro and I have seen Neil's vid describing it. The thing is I still don't really get it. Can anyone recommend it? Is it worth the money? Is there any advantage to it if I am not writing my own tabs? Will it accelerate my learning of guitar?

Thanks, any input would be appreciated. Beaker.

wadestar

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Hey Beaker,

I've been using guitar pro to learn the slack key version of Here Comes the Sun. I think it is really valuable to be able to slow down the score to what ever tempo I can play smoothly at and increase the tempo a little at a time...really helps keep the rhythm strait when you're not quite ready for a metronome. That's as far as I've gotten with my exploration of guitar pro...hope that helps you. Nancy

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 pm

beaker wrote:
I have heard about guitar pro and I have seen Neil's vid describing it. The thing is I still don't really get it. Can anyone recommend it? Is it worth the money? Is there any advantage to it if I am not writing my own tabs? Will it accelerate my learning of guitar?

Thanks, any input would be appreciated. Beaker.
I certainly recommend it. I've used it for years and wouldn't be without it now. You can simply use it to play the GPro files or you can write your own tabs , you can loop sections of a song you can slow the tempo, you can convert ASCII, Power Tab, TefView, into Gpro and you can convert GPro to PDF. You can use it to assist in learning standard notation or if thats too much you simply turn the standard notation off and leave the tab. You can use the chord finder aspect to find strange chords or even design 'your own'

Uses are as limited as your musical imagination. e.g. I have a full blown Orchestra version of a Jethro Tull Song played via GPro at one end of the spectrum the other I have a simple fingerpicking version of Big BIll Broonzy's 'Hey Hey'.

carpet

Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 pm

What is Guitar Pro???

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 pm

carpet wrote:
What is Guitar Pro???
Guitar Pro is a multitrack tablature editor for guitar, banjo and bass. Besides writing scores, Guitar Pro is a useful resource for guitarists from beginner to experienced levels to progress , compose , or simply accompany themselves.

Check out the free trial from the link on the TG pages for Guitar Pro 5

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:59 pm

I just spent half a day using a screen capture programme to Demo Guitar Pro and tabbed out an entire song. Now all I need to know is how to replicate the quality on You Tube , first time I uploaded it was not very clear at all, so I deleted them. They play perfectly on Windows media player straight from the Movie Maker project extension. Any ideas anyone?

Lavallee

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 pm

I cannot help you with your request, but I am looking forward to see that demo. So much to learn from that software. Every guitarist should have it

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:22 pm

Lavallee wrote:
I cannot help you with your request, but I am looking forward to see that demo. So much to learn from that software. Every guitarist should have it

Marc
I spent half today making them, doing a song from start to finish, a couple of mistakes which I do point out. So I'll be somewhat frustrated if I can't get a good enough quality uploaded.

beaker

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 pm

Thanks for your advice guys, I will probably get it soon. It sounds like it will help me learn more difficult sections of songs because I can slow them down. Beaker.

waggis

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:49 pm

I've been experimenting with the transpose feature of GP and transposing songs from standard tuning to various Open tunings to see how it sounds. Pretty cool funtion if you have time to kill.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic