Larrivee OMV-09

tovo

Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:37 am

I have the opportunity to pick up this guitar for about 1300US. I read good things about Larrivee in terms of tone and finish. It's very nice rosewood back and sides. Can anyone give an opinion? I have attached a couple of pics:

haoli25

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:20 am

Tony, it looks to be in great condition and the price looks pretty good too. I saw that same model sell on eBay recently for just under $1900 USD. The list price when it was new was $3300. I know several people that have Larrivee and they love 'em.

Bill

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:07 am

Tony,

I have played several larrivees but not this one. I have a mate who manages a music store who always tries to sell me one and I always almost do lol. Thing is his store is meant to plug Samicks ugh! I haven't played one (a Larrivee i didn't like yet.

Looks good to me, you know how it goes if it feels and sounds right then it must be

tovo

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:21 am

Thanks Bill, it's good to get a price comparison. Chas it sounds beautiful and rich. I'm just nervous that the Bear will find out I'm being unfaithful to my Taylor. Let's keep this between us OK?

BigBear

Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:57 am

Tony- as you know, I have a Larrivee L-10e custom. I love it! Every bit the equal of a Taylor 900 series. The "L" is Larrivee's own proprietary shape and Taylor doesn't have that shape.

Jean Larrivee and Bob Taylor are good friends and both guitars share many of the same features, especially the wonderful neck. There is a difference in the neck however. Taylor uses a bolt-on neck system which is very easy to adjust. Larrivee still uses the more classic dovetail neck connection. Larrivee now has a manufacturing facility very near Taylor's El Cajon plant. The 09 series is made at the California plant.

The picture of the back of the guitar you are looking at is almost identical to my guitar. It looks like it could have come from the same log! Weird! I wonder what year the 09 was made?

My guitar has an Englemann spruce top and I don't believe it is nearly as bright as the Taylors I've owned. I still like the sound of Taylors better but my Larrivee is very well balanced and has a richer tone.

I can't comment on the price because I haven't follwed them in years but that looks like a beautiful guitar at that price if it's in good shape. I would compare the Larrivee 09 very favorably with the 814 you were trying to buy. Larrivee calls the 09 the Rosewood Artist series.

Larrivee has always represented an exceptional value in higher quality guitars due to the exchange rate with the US. Now that the California plant is open and Larrivee has to pay the same for labor and material the price gap has narrowed. But I still believe they are a lot of guitar for the money. Despite my love of Taylor, I would buy another Larrivee in a heartbeat; they are that good!

So it is safe to assume that you marched in and told Cindy who was in charge in the TOVO household? I'm proud of you for laying the law down to her! Let us know how that worked out for you! At least it's still summer in the Land of Oz so sleeping in your car with your new guitar won't be too uncomfortable!! :laugh:

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:03 am

I love it when the Bear rumbles from his sleep

BigBear

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:34 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I love it when the Bear rumbles from his sleep
I know, Tony only wanted to know what time it was and I told him how to build a watch!! Verbosity is a curse!! :silly:

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:45 am

Your prose is so eloquent tho Rick mate we just love it when you wake up! Larrivees are cool guitars I'd buy one in a minute, especially the top end ones which my mate trys to sell me, one day roger phips one day lol

BigBear

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:08 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Your prose is so eloquent tho Rick mate we just love it when you wake up! Larrivees are cool guitars I'd buy one in a minute, especially the top end ones which my mate trys to sell me, one day roger phips one day lol
Larrivees are cool because no one knows what they are. I played mine at a jam a few weeks ago and even the other guitarists had never seen one, especially with the fancy headstock inlay. I wish my playing did justice to the beautiful instrument!

Your mate is a good man if he's trying to get you into a Larrivee. I had the same situation; an old friend was acoustic manager at a local guitar shop and he just raved about Larrivee. So I ordered one. It took 5 months to get it. Wendy Larrivee was the only person doing the headstock inlays so when she got it done, you got your guitar. Period. I thought they lost the order.

I paid about $2,800 for my L-10 about 10 years ago and if I ordered the same guitar today it would push $6,000. So I feel good about that.

Take care my friend! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:15 am

Like I said 'One Day Roger Phips ... one Day! ( you might need to google that) lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic