Mandolin anyone?

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

BAck to Mikes demo vid,

Totally Awesome, as has been said reckon BOnaparte was sprinting lol. Hmmm this might just have to go on the 'I want list' now how to suck up to the better half.....

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 pm

BAck to Mikes demo vid,

Totally Awesome, as has been said reckon BOnaparte was sprinting lol. Hmmm this might just have to go on the 'I want list' now how to suck up to the better half.....

TGMandolinMike

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi Snipe,

I may have posted this earlier, but the Rover brand is a very good quality entry level mandolin. They're under $500 (U.S). Michael Kelly is also a decent brand. If you're on a super tight budget you can look around for a used Kentucky or a Johnson. The Johnson A style costs around $90, and worth every penny. (They're actually semi-playable and decent to start out with. We have a Rover and a Johnson in the house, both belong to my son).

TGMandolinMike

Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Marc,

Actually a 4 string banjo (or tenor banjo) is also tuned in 5ths like a mandolin except it's one 5th lower in pitch. So in other words from the top down, a tenor banjo is tuned A, D, G, C, whereas a mandolin is E. A. D, G. So basically, if you can play a 4 string tenor banjo, you can play a mandolin, and the stretches are easier!

Also, don't worry about the "20 years to learn" part. I'll be putting up some simpler stuff down the line.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic