Mandolin anyone?

TGMandolinMike

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Carpet,

Yes, previous background on guitar is absolutely helpful when picking up mandolin. I started on guitar myself, and though the fingering between the two instruments is different, if you've played guitar for awhile it does give you an advantage. Two main reasons: 1. If you've played guitar for awhile, you've probably developed an ear which will help make it easier to pick out tunes on the new instrument, and 2, your fingers are already accustomed to forming chords and moving around the fretboard much more fluidly than someone who has picked up mandolin for the first time with no musical background (not to mention already having calluses).

If you do buy an inexpensive mandolin, I would advise you to pick one that plays easily and intonates properly. There's nothing more frustrating than a mandolin that won't play in tune, especially in the middle or upper registers. Very often this is just a question of having the bridge positioned properly. If it doesn't have an easy action (or at least one that can be easily adjusted to your comfort), then all you have is an expensive cheese grater.

TGMandolinMike

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:57 am

Hi Dennis,

Mandolin is tuned the same as the lower four strings on a guitar, but in inverse order of pitch.

willem

Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:46 am

I have some intrest to it,, so i'm gonna follow this discussing,,,any chance on video's??

jim56

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 am

Welcome Mike,

I too would like to see you demo your mandolin. Paul McCartney plays the mandolin in his video "Dance Tonight" on youtube:

johnrfeeney

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:00 pm

don't even know one mandolin player, this should be fresh and exciting

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 pm

I believe a demo of what can be taught would whet the appetite even more.

Chas

TGMandolinMike

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi All,

Regarding requests for mandolin videos, yes, absolutely. Neil and Matt haven't told me how they want this aspect handled yet, but I'll be talking to them today and find out. Thanks very much for your interest!

TGMandolinMike

Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Great video Jim! Really cool to see Sir Paul flogging the 8 string! The ghosts in my house tend to come out and complain when I play, too. Stay tuned for some videos, once I sort this out with Neil and Matt.

goldleaf

Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:38 pm

I picked up a Michael Kelly mandolin about a year ago and got a chord book and they are fun to play and not to hard to learn if you have some background with guitar. I paid around $225.00 for a new one and that seemed about the least expensive one that sounded good. I would enjoy some lessons and songs to learn. The chords are pretty easy to finger, no major barr chord issues and it fits in well with many guitar songs. After starting with TG my priority list for practice kinda left the Mandolin off the list. I wouldn't mind adding it back on if I heard something I would like to learn. Gary

BRBbrb

Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Welcome; so glad to hear this news...2 of my guitar heroes play Mandolin - Nancy Wilson of Heart & John Paul Jones of Led Zep. Have you heard of the songs "Dream of the Archer" or "Battle of Evermore"? Would love to learn those!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic