Mr Sheen shines umpteen things clean...

carpet

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm

but is it advisable to use him on my guitar, or Pledge, or any household furniture polish?

haoli25

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 pm

BigBear will be right with you Carpet. Just as soon as we get him up off the floor and smelling salts start to take effect.

Bill

dennisg

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:40 pm

This is from the Taylor web site. Note the last sentence:

Most store-bought guitar and automotive polishes will work fine on the glossy areas of our UV-finished guitars built after 1995. Our factory technicians recommend and use Turtle Wax Express Shine® to clean and detail the entire body and the back of the neck on all Taylor models. Express Shine works well on both glossy and satin finishes, and older finishes. You may also simply use a clean, damp cloth to wipe down the surfaces and follow quickly with a clean, dry cloth. To clean the fingerboard, we use and recommend 0000 extra-fine steel wool. Simply rub the steel wool up and down the length of the fingerboard right over the tops of the frets. This will remove any grime from the fingerboard without damaging the wood and will also remove any oxidation from the frets, giving them a nice shine. Do not use furniture polishes on any of our guitars at any time, as they will likely damage the finish.

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks

AndyT

Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 pm

haoli25 wrote:
BigBear will be right with you Carpet. Just as soon as we get him up off the floor and smelling salts start to take effect.
Bill
:laugh: :woohoo: :side: :silly: :cheer: :laugh:

dennisg

Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Dennisg

I was recommended D'Andrea Lemon Oil for applying to the fretboard when replacing strings after light steel wool.

D'Andrea - Lemon Oil
That may well work fine. Taylor recommends that you use common linseed oil, and no more often than once a year. You can buy a lifetime supply of linseed oil in any hardware store for just a few bucks.

tovo

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:39 pm

Turtle Wax eh?! I've been reluctant to do anything but regularly wipe my guitars over to remove dust. I guess I'll be digging the Turtle Wax out of the shed. Thanks for the tip Dennis.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 pm

...um, should I be feeling bad here... haven't cleaned my guitars almost ever!!

haoli25

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:17 pm

BigBear is still down for the count...the shock was too much for him! :)

This is what C.F. Martin says about guitar cleaning;

The best way to clean your guitar is with a warm, damp
cloth. This will remove harmful chemicals. Your guitar is
coated in the highest grade finish available and is sensitive.
Any type of solvent, especially those found in plastic, vinyl
and leather straps, will mar the finish, as will alcohol, citric
acid, aftershave lotion, insect repellent and a number of related
substances. This finish can be adversely affected by interaction with certain synthetic straps and can also be affected by leather straps.
The vinyl and synthetic leathers contain solvents that keep
the material soft and supple. These solvents will transfer to
the instrument’s finish and cause damage. Do not allow such
straps to contact the finish. The best procedure is to always
remove your strap from your guitar after use and store separately. Vinyl sofas, chairs, etc. should also be avoided.
Perspiration can also damage your guitar, so keep it dry. We recommend wiping down your instrument and strings with a soft,
dry cloth before storing to remove harmful skin oils.
Products containing silicone should not be used.

I found a product several years ago that is made for all guitar, violin, mandolin, etc. finishes. It is "Smith Pro Formula Polish" and it works very well. It is made just for musical instruments and is approved by Taylor, Martin, Gibson, etc.

Bill

BigBear

Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Yaaaawn! I just woke up, sorry, what were we talking about?

What can I say, Dennis has it nailed! I use Martin guitar polish on all my guitars and have for years. It seems like a very light polish and doesn't build up at all.

I do know my luthier only uses Meguiar's #9 polish on all their guitars. Does a beautiful job. They use a product made for violins on the necks but I forget what it's called.

I hate putting anything on the fretboard because anything like oil or wax will hold grit and grime more than a dry neck. Since I've never seen an ebony fretboard dry up and crack I'd be very careful.

I'm going to sleep, see ya! :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic