Players with mad skills

TGMandolinMike

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:30 am

Hi All,

I wanted to recommend a list of excellent 8-string pilots that you might enjoy listening to or watching on youtube. These are all players who have influenced my own style to a great degree. Hope you enjoy exploring the diverse and exciting mando styles all these heavy hitters have to offer!

David Grisman
Sam Bush
Chris Thile
John Reischman
Andy Statman
Adam Steffey
Evan Marshall
Mike Marshall
Dave Apollon
Jethro Burns
Radim Zenkl
Matt Flinner
and of course:
Mr. Bill Monroe!

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:21 am

My old guitar teacher has a photograph enlarged of him with BIll Monroe when they played at the same venue, not sure if they played together. This was quite something for a New Zealander playing in USA, His name is Graham Lovejoy and he played with a NZ band called Hamilton County Bluegrass Band. Graham also plays a pretty mean mandolin , banjo and guitar.

BigBear

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:02 am

Mike- shouldn't Ricky Skaggs be on this list somewhere? And maybe Vince Gill occasionally. :cheer:

coclimber

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:37 am

TGmandolinmike wrote:
Matt Flinner
...!
Great to see Matt on your list ... he is incredible. Agree on the rest, of course!

TGMandolinMike

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:12 am

Hi BigBear,

Yes, absolutely...apologies to Ricky and Vince! I was trying to keep the list to 10 for now. There are probably 20 more I could think of without breaking a sweat

dekotaj

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Big Bear wrote:
Mike- shouldn't Ricky Skaggs be on this list somewhere? And maybe Vince Gill occasionally. :cheer:
Ricky Skaggs.When this guy first came out on the country charts,I was hooked.Seen him 7 times in concert,got every album he put out,Just loved his up beat music.Great singer song writer.Wish there was more new country like his.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic