Old Martin Guitars...

tombo1230

Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Did I not read somewhere that Eric Clapton had retired his Strat 'Blackie' a while back because he had worn out the neck of his guitar to the point that the sixth string was on the edge of the top of the guitar and was nearly unplayable. Now that is some serious playing!

Guitarmom

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 pm

As many of you know I have been a fan of Martins for a very long time. My first was a D12-20 that I purchased 40 years ago, and the sustain and clarity of tone could not be better. I also purchased a D12-28 about two years ago. It too has a wonderful sustain, and while I play it often... I always seem to come back to my first 12 string. About 15 years ago I purchased a new 000-28EC, after playing about 4 of them at different stores. While Martin makes incredible guitars, sometimes the grain... glue and the Master Craftsman's hands all come together to bring something special into the world. I am fortunate to have two special guitars like that. I also play a number of other guitars but come back to Martins most of the time, depending upon the song, sound and setting.

When in a nursing home I find that the soothing sound of a classical guitar seems to make a difference to those listening. I have a Guild MK II that I have played for over 50 years and it too has improved greatly with age. I didn't realize just how much playing improves the sustain and clarity of a guitar until I saw another Guild Mark II for sale on eBay. The ad said it had been purchased about 50 years ago and stashed in a closet when the guitar "bug" waned. I paid the escrow fees to see just how "as new" the guitar was, and was amazed when it came with only one tiny scratch on the back. Oddly enough it was within a few hundred serial numbers away from my original model. I restrung both guitars with new Savarez 520PI (my preference) and started to play. My old friend of 50 years sang sweetly with true depth and sustain. The eBay guitar also played well, but the bottom end and sustain were not the same. It was if the guitar that had traveled with me for so many years had a depth of personal experience that it would share whenever I picked it up. The tone of the recently purchased guitar was good as well... but it lacked something. Finding a used guitar that has had loving care and played a lot, will in my experience, surpass that of a new guitar off the shelf. By the way, if you play mandolins, and want a really full "woody" sound rather than brilliant for some songs, you cannot beat a Martin Mandolin. They haven't made them for many years... but they sound and play sweetly too. 0:)

I am looking to add another nylon string guitar to the family and have seen the Taylor Acoustic Electric NS74CE as a possible contender. While playing the Guild MK II works in small settings, there are times when playing for a larger group would benefit from a good pickup. I have used a microphone near the sound-hole and while it works well, I do not want to have to think about guitar placement when I am singing. If anyone has used the Taylor Nylon guitars I would appreciate the feedback.

Namaste,

Rev Kate

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:19 pm

songman52 wrote:
Redpick said, "...possible to play a guitar out."
Gee, I dunno. Ask Willie (Nelson) when his will be played out! :)

Does anyone know of another artist whose guitar looks that worn?

Jerry
How about Glen Hansards Takamine NP15

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:53 am

TGmandolinmike wrote:
Anyone interested in a discussion of old Martin guitars? (1960 and earlier?) Actually, I'll gladly chat about any Martin. They've been a near obsession of mine for nearly 40 years.

I know the title says 'Old Martin Guitars', but can I ask about the new one I just bought? A DC16-GTE? It's my first Martin and I'm just loving the sound.. and I understand it will only get better with age. Have you ever played one, Mike? And if so, what's you opinion of it?

Thanks.

Al

Chasplaya

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
TGmandolinmike wrote:
Anyone interested in a discussion of old Martin guitars? (1960 and earlier?) Actually, I'll gladly chat about any Martin. They've been a near obsession of mine for nearly 40 years.

I know the title says 'Old Martin Guitars', but can I ask about the new one I just bought? A DC16-GTE? It's my first Martin and I'm just loving the sound.. and I understand it will only get better with age. Have you ever played one, Mike? And if so, what's you opinion of it?

Thanks.

Al
Age is a matter of perspective, if you bought a new Martin today the D16 would be your old one...

redpick

Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:09 pm

WOW, that Glen Hansard guitar has sure given the owner his money's worth!! Re Guitarmom's experience, couldn't agree more. A new or unplayed guitar needs to be played in. The soundboard has to resonate A LOT before a guitar comes into it's own. That doesn't mean that a guitar sounds bad when new, it means that it is going to sound better the more it is played.....Another good point she raised is that identical guitar models will all be different albeit at a fairly subtle level regarding feel and voice. It's highly recommended to play as many as possible before buying the one that speaks to you. Unfortunately, this is not always possible, particularly with the growing online purchase trend. While it's preferable to support your local music store, a recent like for like potential purchase had a DIFFERENCE of $4000 +!!!! It wasn't a Martin. BTW, if anyone is looking for a NEW Martin, I highly recommend Jon Garon at My Favorite Guitars.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic