wadestar

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 am

Martin or Guild give over here I will take it

TGMandolinMike

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:26 pm

You are correct, sir!

redpick

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi, been a member for a little time now but haven't posted yet, so here goes. First, let me say, what a brilliant site, I take my hat off to Neil & team, I now look no further on the web. I'm hurtling toward being a Target member, just hesitating 'cos I want to give enough time to lessons! I hope you don't mind me picking this thread up, 5 months down the line, but I feel you didn't really get the feedback you were looking for. I LOVE Martins.

RicksPick

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Hey Red

Jump right in, all are welcome and equal here
Would love to see some pictures of them sweeties.

there is a thread for introductions if you feel the need

RicksPick

tombo1230

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:56 am

Hi Redpick, that sounds like a fine collection of guitars you have there. One of my guitars is a Sigma SDR41 which I believe is a Martin copy made in Korea, but would love to get a real one someday.

If you join the Target programme it will give you the incentive and encouragement to practise, as you will see the benefits fairly quickly. Enjoy the site and welcome.

Tom N. ~(Tombo1230)

redpick

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the welcome RicksPick & Tombo, it may take some time, but I will get pix organised. I also have a Sigma - DM2 - Also made in Korea, which is the better made models IMO, I couldn't believe the quality of sound from it. It's more a strummer than a picker, but truly amazing sound. They say the pre-war Martins are the Holy Grail (1930-45), but I gotta tell you that IMO the guitars they are currently making at the top end I think are the true collectibles of the present & the future. My older Martins are in pristine condition, but I am a little put off going for older models as they can be fraught with problems and more akin to museum pieces! This may cause some controversy - discuss... In addition, there is also a school of thought that a guitar can get played out, which is an interesting thought. Re practice, I manage most days, and have promised myself that I will use the Martins more. The longer I live, the more I think these things should do what they were intended to do - play daily!

dekotaj

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:19 am

I have a DC-Aura.I just bought last year.So no oldies,but yes a goody.Would love to see my Grand kids play it some day.Welcome Sir!I to cant wait for some of those pictures.

Kevin
Northern Illinois

johnrfeeney

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:34 pm

I love my ten year old D 35 9 originally bought one in 1975 but had to let go of it in the eighties

i am ready to sell a brand new D 28 and a brand new Taylor 816CE so that I can obtain a Martin D-41 special.

To me nothing that I have played comes close to the Martin sound. The Taylor neck is to wide for me and the D 28 to high sounding -

I have heard that the HD 28 or the V is exceptional.

rplunkett142r

Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:01 pm

No old Martins, but I do have a D16GTL, which for the price is a great guitar.

I do have a 1960 Guild F-47, which I bought when I was 10 years old for $10 and an old guitar I had. I agree with the poster who said it is tough to come by vitage lefties. Being a lefty, and an old one at that, prior to 1970, you just bought a righty and reversed the strings....even Paul McCartney did. Electrics were a bit easier, but acoustics just didn't exist unless they were custom (read VERY expensive!)

songman52

Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Redpick said, "...possible to play a guitar out."
Gee, I dunno. Ask Willie (Nelson) when his will be played out! :)

Does anyone know of another artist whose guitar looks that worn?

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic