Hummingbird Guitars

wadestar

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I am not crazy, my brother has a Hummingbird Guitar made by Hummingbird. Now my problem is I can not find this maker out there anywhere. Only Gibson & Epiphone. Gibson started making them 1960. I am not sure the age of the guitar, but if you have heard of the guitar company Hummingbird please give me some input.

RicksPick

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Harmony Hummingbird Acoustic Guitar?
Hello there, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with harmony guitars (espically the hummingbird model) and are they any good.
I'm a beginner to moderate, and I need a nice-ish guitar for as budget as it gets. My dad saw one of these and thought it was a great price ($120) but I'd really like to know about them first.
Thanks!

The Harmony Guitar Company was founded in 1892 and in its heyday was one of the biggest stringed musical instrument manufacturers in the U.S. In 1916, they were bought by Sears Roebuck and manufactured ukeleles, guitars, banjos and mandolins under their own brand name and a number of others as well as building instruments for Sears under the Silvertone brand name. In 1975, though, they went out of business due to competition from low cost foreign made instruments.

Harmony guitars were inexpensive -- IIRC, I paid about $70 for a Harmony acoustic guitar in 1973 or so -- but they really were good instruments for the price, and vintage Harmony instruments from the original company (pre-1975) sell well on Ebay.

The Harmony Guitar Company that exists today is an entirely different company that bought the rights to use the Harmony name a number of years back, after the original company went bust. I have no experience with new Harmony guitars and have no idea how they compare, quality-wise, with the original company's products.

Found this Maybe some relationship

RicksPick

AndyT

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:32 pm

The Hummingbird is a really nice guitar. Fairly well known in some circles. I know Tom Petty does most of his writing on one and lots of other artists use it as well. It's a fairly inexpensive guitar that is usually well made and has a nice mellow sound.

One of my students bought one brand new and it has a really sweet sound. Very nice guitar.

wadestar

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

My brother has had his for years now he has always liked it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic