I've been BAD!! Here's my new Yamaha 'Silent Guitar'.

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 am

Craigslist is EVIL!! I wasn't even in the market for a guitar- but then I saw this one. It's a Yamaha 'Silent Guitar'. I think it has been discussed in the forums before, but in case you missed it, here's Yamaha's link:
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product ... index.html

My main issue with practicing was that I couldn't play at home after about 9pm because I'd keep my daughter up. This guitar was my answer.

It's basically behaves like an acoustic-electric guitar, with a few differences. I can plug headphones directly into the body and hear perfectly. It sounds just like an unplugged electric to others in the room. Or I can plug into an amp and hear it without headphones.

Lastly (and amazingly), it has an aux-in. I can plug a headphone-out of my laptop into the aux-in and hear both the laptop and my guitar playing through the headphones! The guitar is my mixer. Any hour- day or night- and I won't be disturbing anyone.

Pretty cool IMHO.

Will upload my own vid soon- but here's Yamaha's demo of it on youtube:

**Edit - If you're interested, I uploaded a demo of my playing the guitar about 1/2 way down this page.

suziko

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:19 am

Hope you weren't too uncomfortable sleeping in the car last night! ;)

Looks cool, Al. Congratulations!

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:32 am

suziko wrote:
Hope you weren't too uncomfortable sleeping in the car last night! ;)

Looks cool, Al. Congratulations!

Yes, Suzi. I didn't go into the whole 'getting another guitar past my wife' thing.

I actually think she's all for NOT hearing me practice or play, so it's a win-win!!

:laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:32 am

I tried one out Al. Not bad at all. Now you can be alone in your room without even being there. ;-)

dekotaj

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:47 am

Hey Al,How cool is that.I cant wait to here you show it off.Looks like alot of fun,Enjoy.

Kevin

dennisg

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:48 am

Man, that thing sounds awesome, Al. Congratulations. I'm now officially in lust mode.

izzyhara

Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:51 am

This is entirely too cool!!! When I purchased my piano, there were many reasons to go electric, but the main reason was that I can practice with headphones on and no one else can hear me. I hope your wife will video you singing away to a tune that none of the rest of us can hear! That could be priceless.....
In other news, I started this site with three guitars, and now I am up to 4, and desperate to win the contest so I can have 5.... it just never ends.

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:01 am

dennisg wrote:
Man, that thing sounds awesome, Al. Congratulations. I'm now officially in lust mode.

Don't know if I want to be responsible for putting you in lust-mode, Dennis..

Hope my next upload doesn't put you over the top! I just did a quick demo of it- will be here in a minute.

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am

Here's a quick demo of the one I bought. I've been meaning to post this anyways.. not as a student review video.. but as a response to D_dog's post on Sister Golden Hair. I made a couple of suggestions on how to change the song up a bit in his great version of it. I play those suggestions in this version-- albeit not amazingly.

** I just watched that back. Gotta say it's so weird being able to see the railing pickets THROUGH the guitar!!

heatndude

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:16 am

Very cool Al, Ihave messed around with these at music stores but could not talk the wife into it ! HOW DID YOU DO IT ? WHATS YOUR SECRET !
Also looks like you are getting bar chords down, good job.

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic