string buzz

sws626

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:07 am

If you haven't ever had it set up before, I'd suggest you just take it to a good luthier. It's a quick job and you'll no doubt benefit from a more comprehensive assessment of the setup. That's what I would, anyway.

wadestar

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 am

It is a Cortez I would not think worth much. Just would be nice to have it set up right.

AndyT

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:15 am

Any guitar worth playing is worth having a Pro Setup done.

jayswett

Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 am

sws626 wrote:
If you haven't ever had it set up before, I'd suggest you just take it to a good luthier. It's a quick job and you'll no doubt benefit from a more comprehensive assessment of the setup. That's what I would, anyway.
I agree with this, and also Andy's comment above. I would take a moment to have your local guitar shop owner or even better, a luthier, take a brief look at it. He will likely do several things during his quick evaluation:

a) determine whether or not it's worth having the guitar professionaly setup at all
b) show you what the issues are
c) give you an estimate
d) teach you something in the process.

I have several older guitars that I take to my local guy from time to time. I never regret doing it, as I always learn something when I do, and the guitar is easier to play and sounds better when it's returned to me. The side benefit is that it gives me a chance to play his nice guitars while I'm there.

quincy451

Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 pm

yea on this one...I agree with the idea...go for the setup. Me I would take a different tacked on it if not going for that setup. I would first replace the strings then go from there. Then adjust the truss rod if needed. Never heard of a saddle causing a buzz and needing to be replaced. But that don't mean much.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:13 am

Whoa... before anyone runs off and starts tweakin truss rods filing saddles in search of Buzz answers I fully recommend first get a Luthier or if you don't think the guitar is worth it check out the neck relief first. NOw go to

Frets.com

Loads of How to articles there and if you are patient it takes you through a logical procecss of elimination.

If you get the truss rod stuffed up then as someone said you've got the Campfire fuel sorted!

ANy work I have done was with the guidance of Frets.com and its pretty cold round here No Campfire fuel lol

quincy451

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 am

frets.com was my first site for this kind of stuff. But this site is also good: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/default.htm A bit easier to find stuff at times.

AndyT

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 am

Anyone ever hear of Gary Chun?
He used to be (one of) Eric Clapton's Luthier along with many other well known guitarists.
He now lives here in Hawaii and I have an appointment with him in the morning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic