Rosewood or Mahogany

jeff913

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I am buying a Seagull Maritime SWS Q1 guitar and i have a choice of rosewood back and sides or mahogany. I would like to hear what other people think.

MarkM

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Jeff,

It really depends on what you want to hear. Rosewood has a larger tonal spectrum than mahogany. It has deeper lows and a higer end. Mahogany really lives in the middle. Can't go wrong with either really. Here is a URL to a site that goes over tones and other info on wood. I hope this helps.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/fe ... oods/Tone/

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/fe ... BodyWoods/

MarkM

tovo

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey Jeff welcome aboard. Why don't you slip over to the introduce yourself thread and tell us a bit about yourself?

In terms of your question, I would go Rosewood every time but it's such a personal choice. I could only suggest playing each but seriously there are so many other variables that you couldn't put variations down to the wood. Which one do you prefer visually? That's the one I would go for.

haoli25

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Hello Jeff. I have two guitars with Rosewood and another guitar with Mahogany. To me, the Rosewood has a much richer, deeper tone. The Mahogany has much better midrange projection. So as Mark and Tony said, go with the one that sounds best and looks best to you.

Bill

BigBear

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:54 pm

jeff913 wrote:
I am buying a Seagull Maritime SWS Q1 guitar and i have a choice of rosewood back and sides or mahogany. I would like to hear what other people think.
Jeff- Rosewood is always the superior wood for guitars. Mahogany is used in less expensive intruments. I've had both. But make sure that whatever wood is used it is solid and not laminated. I would rather have a solid mahogany guitar than a laminated anything. But I doubt that any serious guitar maker is laminating rosewood; it's just too expensive.

Good luck! :cheer:

d_dog

Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 pm

I would hope that you've been able to play this guitar in both flavors to make your decision. It's all so difficult to make these decisions without playing the exact guitar you're buying, even two of the same guitars can sound different. Other than that, I agree with others that have posted here.

jeff913

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks for all the help, I have played the mahogany version but not the rosewood, I guess I will keep searching for a store that has both in stock. I am leaning towards rosewood and will be ordering this guitar from my local guitar store in 3 or 4 weeks. Any Seagull owners out there? Thanks again, Jeff

BigBear

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 am

jeff913 wrote:
Thanks for all the help, I have played the mahogany version but not the rosewood, I guess I will keep searching for a store that has both in stock. I am leaning towards rosewood and will be ordering this guitar from my local guitar store in 3 or 4 weeks. Any Seagull owners out there? Thanks again, Jeff

Jeff- I purchased a Seagull S6 for my son and I have stated many times here on the forum that I believe they are the absolute best value in guitars on the market today. Our Canadian friends have built amazing guitars at a price point that is simply unbelieveable. Do not hesitate to buy a Seagull. Great instruments. Very highly rated!

Good luck! :cheer:

frybaby

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

I too have one of each. Both different sounds which is why I wanted one of each. If it's one or the other, play often and listen deeply to both, better yet have some else play each while you listen. Your ears will work with your heart to narrow it down the choice. All things being concidered, however, I perfer Rosewood, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic