Wow!

carpet

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm

Did you guys see Hector playing that thing! Did you see his hands? Absolute control over them, that's what we're aiming at too. Amazing!

tovo

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Yes it was brilliant Carpet. Funny, I do so enjoy that South American classical style but have never aspired to play it. That doesn't matter, Hector's mastery of the style is obvious and as I watched it I knew I was watching something very special.

carpet

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Likewise. I bet there's still millions we can learn and adapt though. I was looking at the pinky of his left hand (my current sticking point) - it was like an outstretched tail. noted. His left hand i was looking at particularly, it just looked so powerful, no fear - knew exactly where it was going. That's the goal - that's what I'm dedicating myself to.

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:59 am

Yes, Hector is a class act. You should do yourself a favor and check out his albums at the TG music store (just click on his album to the right of this thread). I sampled a couple of songs and immediately popped the ten bucks for his Ecos Del Ande album. This is some seriously good music if you are into tangos and other S. American flavored tunes.

In fact, his version of La Cumparsita has inspired me to fire an email to host Jonathan Overby to recommend it for play on his local Wisconsin Public Radio program Higher Ground. This show airs Saturdays at 7:00 – 10:00pm (Central time . . . . that would be 5:00 – 8:00pm at the TG studios) and is my favorite for World Music. Anyone that is interested in hearing eclectic music from around the globe should be able to check it out and give a listen at that time using the live stream here:

http://www.wpr.org/higherground/

When I checked the past playlists, I see that Jonathan last played a version of La Cumparsita by Quartango about a year ago, so he is probably due to queue it up again, soon. In my opinion, Hector’s version blows Quartango’s out of the water. I just can’t stop listening to it.

This is a huge opportunity to learn something from a true master of his trade. Uh, oh . . . . . I just realized something . . . . I haven't owned a classical guitar since I was 16 years old. Guess it's time to open up the wallet and start a new adventure.

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Just a quick follow up to my last post in this thread. I just got an reply email from Jonathan Overby, and he will be playing Hector's La Cumparsita on his show when he gets back from Zanzibar in a couple of weeks. Not sure exactly when it will play, yet. In the past, it has taken a week or two for him to work in my requests. This is a perfect venue for Hector's music and Jonathan has quite a worldwide following.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic