Test drove a DN8 today

dennisg

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:33 pm

MarkM

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:20 am

dennisg wrote:

Thanks Dennis. I've been watching this one for a while. It's been there 22 days now. There must be a problem with the small heel seperation. If it gets much cheaper I may just have to do something here.

MarkM

dennisg

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Mark,

I went to my local guitar shop today and play a DN8. All I can say is, it was fabulous. Considering it's a dreadnaught, the sound is so balanced and perfect, it makes your head swim.

MarkM

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:31 pm

dennisg wrote:
Mark,

I went to my local guitar shop today and play a DN8. All I can say is, it was fabulous. Considering it's a dreadnaught, the sound is so balanced and perfect, it makes your head swim.

It will be mine!!! Taxes are done and I'm taking my share before paying bills. Hopefully I'll have it by next weekend. I've been saving some songs for the new guitar. I tell ya I don't know why the tried and true dreadnaught doesn't get any love........... For me its the sound that I relate too the most.

MarkM

dennisg

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:30 pm

I think dreadnaughts don't get any love because they're typically boomy, and whatever treble there is often gets overwhelmed by the low frequencies. Also, dreadnaughts are ideal for strummers, and fingerpickers usually go for something more balanced. I've played Martins, Gibsons, Taks, and just about everything else, and my observation is that they are very bottom-heavy. I own a Guild D-25 that doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with the DN8. I don't know what Taylor does to balance the sound, but theirs is the only dreadnaught I've played that I actually like. To each his own, though. I also played the Taylor 814, and I'm seriously thinking about trading up.

If you ever want to consider after-market electronics, BigBear is positively evangelical about K&K systems. They're very affordable, too.

goldleaf

Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:42 pm

I was just talking with my long time friend who lives in San Diego and he was telling me about Buffalo Brothers Guitars in Carlsbad CA (30 miles N. of S.D.) I told him I called them last time I was down there July 09 because they have so many top end guitars and they are "The leading Taylor" sales retail store. They also have a great trade in policy, if you buy a guitar there they will allow the amount you paid if you want to upgrade. It has to be at least a 25% increase in cost and the guitar has to be in good condition. They have a really good following since they know if you want to upgrade you will almost certainly come back to them. Couldn't talk the wife into stopping there on the way home, we drove within about 10 miles of it but I'm stocked up on guitars, wish I had of bought one of them from them. Gary

dennisg

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:02 pm

That's a great policy, Gary. I wish I'd bought a guitar from them.

goldleaf

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Dennis, I can see upgrading every couple years if they gave me full price for the last guitar I bought. I bet there are a lot of guitar players in that area that have ended up owning some pretty high end guitars over a few years. Gary

MarkM

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:44 am

Dennis - There is a great piece on the 800 series in the latest Wood and Steel with a Picture of the back of an 814 between a 900 and 700 series. Beautiful guitar. Once I get my fingerpicking chops at a higher level then I'll look to one of those as well. For now this silly stummer is stuck on the Dred.

Gary - That is a great policy. I believe Guitar Rodeo has one as well. I'll just have to make sure I can get as much as I can for mine and then get the lowest price for the DN8. It's a new 2008 model so I know that they have had it there for a bit.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic