Test drove a DN8 today

MarkM

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm ruined......

I've been eyeing this Taylor DN8 (I've currently got the DN4) over the past few weeks and today I had a meeting close to this guitar store where I buy mine. So I was giddy all morning knowing that I would be able to test drive some new guitars. UGH!!!! GUSH!!!! There it was in all it's glory, the DN8, Sitka top, Rosewood back and sides. So what do I do? Well I came prepared. I actually brought my clip on tuner with me as I wanted to get down to D Modal as fast as possible and didn't want to fool around with harmonics. Had a few picks with me and then went to town. Oh!!!! Can you say smooth and warm as butter. Although I love my guitar and can't stand to not play it even for one day, I was looking for something a bit warmer in tone. Ovankol is similar to rosewood but the mids are scooped up. This DN8 melted in my hands. Although it didn't have fresh strings it was still great. I really can't say enough about it. I'm doing my taxes this afternoon and that is a dangerous thing now. I can justify two (or more) guitars but not two dreads. So I'll have to trade mine in and expect to pay a generous amount as well. Maybe in a few weeks.

Does anyone own a DN8 or 810/910? I'd love to hear what you have to say on the matter.

MarkM

dennisg

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Mark, I don't own an 810, but I play one at my guitar shop almost every other week. It's a spectacular guitar, with a deep and throaty bottom end and balanced mids and highs. I've been thinking seriously about getting one. Of course, I'd also like to get a T3, T5, and Taylor's brand-new baritone guitar.

BigBear

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Mark- I have a Taylor 855 12-string. Spectacular guitar! Probably the best sounding guitar I own and that is compared to a $5,000 Larrivee. The 800 series Taylors were Bob Taylor's original guitars and are still still considered some of his best. They aren't highly adorned for the price but they sound so sweet I don't really care.

I'm itching for an 814 because this series of guitars is so good. I don't know anything about the DN8 series. They came out after I bought all three of my Taylors (710, 314 & 855).

Good luck and happy hunting!! :cheer:

tovo

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Mark this is simple: See it....play it....WANT IT.....buy it.

Now back to reality, my 410 has Ovangkol and although I love the wood I agree that Ovangkol is very bright in the mids in particular. My new Rosewood Larrivee is noticeably warmer. As someone with a really bad case of GAS I say good luck with the new acquisition. The fact you intend to trade should lessen the pain a little.

MarkM

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Dennis - The DN8 is essentially the same thing as teh 810 minus some of the "bling". Same woods, bracing, inlay (rosette). The difference is that it is a strait acoustic. No electronics on board as a standard. They can be added though. Also the fret inlays are standard abalone dots. I do like the the 800 and 900 series inlay on the fretboard much better. Apart from that they are the same. I would love to have a T3B as well!!!! Beautiful looking and sounding guitar.

Bear - see above for the DN8 description. My that is quite the pile of lumber you have there. I'd like to hear what your 710 sounds like. Very interesting guitar. The 855 is great as well (drool....). I'm in the market as well but I need to get this dred first then I'll go for the 12 string. Could have used that on Sugar Mountain.

Tony - See it.. Play it...Buy it. Yup my feelings exactly. That is a small problem I have. It took everything I had in me not to take that thing home with me today. Good news is taxes are done and a portion of my refund has Taylor's name on it. Told my wife that this evening and got the look. I just had to remind her what it costs her every month for her haircut.......... Stopped a potential arguement right in its tracks...... I didn't have the balls to tell her that I needed two guitars right now though. I'll save that one for the summer.

MarkM

dennisg

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

One other difference between the DN8 and the 810 is the cutaway. Comes in handy sometimes.

d_dog

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Dude it must have been guitar shop day, I played a couple today too. I tried out that new Yamaha Silent Guitar that Acoustic Al just bought. Pretty cool, it actually plays pretty nice. I think I could get used to it, but not sure it really fits into my life/set up right now. I also checked out a Breedlove Focus Professional, beautiful guitar! I am a little biased towards Breedlove cause I already have one that I love, but this one is in a different class, $2,999 compared to my $600 model. Stunning sound and playability.
I will have to look into the DN8 I don't think I've played one.

MarkM

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Dennis - You are correct sir. Personally for me, I prefer the dred to not have a cutaway. I don't get up that high on the fret board so it really isn't an issue. Maybe when I get a 714ce or something later this summer. I'll have to be a much better player to look at that though.

Dog - I hear ya. It was soooo good to have an hour in the shop today. I haven't been there since I went to a road show back in November with my wife. Breedlove is a good brand and I've always heard good things from them. Kind of like a cousin to Taylor as I believe the founder started out working at Taylor.

There aren't many Youtube video's of the DN8 but I did come across this one. Too bad I can't play anywhere near what this guy can though. Something to shoot for in the next stage of my life.

MarkM

dennisg

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:48 pm

No wonder it sounds good, Mark. He's playing in French.

The DN8 is a great guitar, but guys like that can make cardboard sound good.

Just thought I'd throw in this one monkey wrench: Taylor has a really good Build Your Own program through its dealer network. Since you're thinking about a dream guitar, one that you're going to own for the rest of your life, you might want to consider having it built to your exact specifications. Among the many things you can choose is the type of wood. Every now and then Taylor is able to get ahold of some cocobolo wood which, to my ear, is the best sounding (and most amazing looking) wood I've ever played. If the idea of building your own guitar sounds appealing, you can check with Taylor to see if they have some cocobolo around. You might also call some guitar shops to see if they have a cocobolo guitar (of any brand) you can play. In addition to the fabulous Taylors I've played, last weekend I played a Breedlove cocobolo that was just terrific. One day I plan to get a Taylor made from that wood.

Anyway, let us know what you decide on. The beauty of what you're about to decide on is that you can't make a wrong choice. Any direction you go is going to lead you to a spectacular guitar that will continue to get better with age.

MarkM

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:08 pm

dennisg wrote:
No wonder it sounds good, Mark. He's playing in French.

The DN8 is a great guitar, but guys like that can make cardboard sound good.

Just thought I'd throw in this one monkey wrench: Taylor has a really good Build Your Own program through its dealer network. Since you're thinking about a dream guitar, one that you're going to own for the rest of your life, you might want to consider having it built to your exact specifications. Among the many things you can choose is the type of wood. Every now and then Taylor is able to get ahold of some cocobolo wood which, to my ear, is the best sounding (and most amazing looking) wood I've ever played. If the idea of building your own guitar sounds appealing, you can check with Taylor to see if they have some cocobolo around. You might also call some guitar shops to see if they have a cocobolo guitar (of any brand) you can play. In addition to the fabulous Taylors I've played, last weekend I played a Breedlove cocobolo that was just terrific. One day I plan to get a Taylor made from that wood.

Anyway, let us know what you decide on. The beauty of what you're about to decide on is that you can't make a wrong choice. Any direction you go is going to lead you to a spectacular guitar that will continue to get better with age.

Dennis,

Thanks. I am familar with the BTO program and think it is fantastic!!! Apart from the 8 week wait it is all one could ask for. For this DN8 I will get the standard as I'll be trading my DN4 in on it. However this is something that I will most certainly consider when looking for another one later in the year. I wish I lived close enough for the factory tour and choose all my woods there. Now that would be a treat.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic