I'm In The Market For a Nylon Thanks Hector!

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:42 am

michelew wrote:
Oopss - I'm not sure why I called you Chris - Chas. I guess I wrote CH and then got distracted.
I was gonna say something but , i can see where you made the confusion I look like a Male Model as well .... NOt lol!!

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:34 am

Nice choice Chas... you are going to enjoy picking away on that. We will require video evidence, of course.

Michele, it's just nice to know I'm in your (subconscious) thoughts! ;-)

izzyhara

Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:09 am

This site is insanity ----- I love it !!! GAS has struck me again especially after looking at the Ibanez with the smaller neck. My hands are getting older and I don't have the reach range I used to have. This might be a way for me to continue my classical stuff and actually have it sound good. Thanks for this link AndyT..... or NOT !!!

izzyhara

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:47 pm

As so often happens in the forum, I read and participate in a thread, and have an "a-ha" moment. My moment happened in my previous post. Now I finally understand why I can't make that exquisite Cordoba sound right. I do need a slightly smaller neck for my current hand strength and reach. So what I need to know is - where is the TG Shopping Channel/Classified Ads? I might be putting a near perfect Cordoba classical guitar up for sale.

mmmbldo

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:21 pm

izzyhara wrote:
... Hector, if you are reading this thread, so you have a string that you favor? Izzy
Izzy,

I switched from D'Addario, LaBella, etc. to Savarez Alliance on my classical. It made a big, big difference...more than I really hoped for. They are more expensive but well worth it, even for a cheapskate like me. :)

AndyT

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Izzy,
You are more than welcome! I've been considering getting that one myself. I really like the sound and everything about it.

I already don't have room for the ones I have, now I want to add another one! LOL

dennisg

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:15 pm

I played a Taylor NS72 today -- absolutely beautiful sounding guitar. Not cheap though.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Think I've found the one. Only one available in NZ and its in Auckland, shop will ship it free of charge if I really want it. Wife just bought another Fish Tank so she can't argue this time. Wee bit more $$$ than I intended but hey what the heck!

Product : TAKAMINE (JAPAN) TH90 HIRADE - CW/ELEC CLASSICAL GUITAR

RRP - $1999.00
RSP - $1299.00

Features the new CTP-2 Cool Tube Preamp; Oval Soundhole

MODEL TH90
Body Shape Classic Cutaway
Top Solid Spruce
Back Solid Indian Rosewood
Sides Solid Indian Rosewood
Binding Cab + Wood Purf
Roset Oval Marquettery
Neck Mahogany
Fingerboard Ebony
Fingerboard Inlay None
Number of Frets 20
Scale Length 650mm
Nut&Saddle Bone
Nut Width 51.0mm
Trussrod Two Way
Bridge Indian Rosewood
Strings EXP45
Color Natural
Finish Glossy
Electronics CTP-2
Well done the deed and picked it up yesterday, some pics of mine ar in My Photos on profile page.

Sound through my Ashdown amp is something else!! Bit more practice and I'll post a vid.

cavi

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Buying a classical guitar, tough subject. I know alot about it as I grew up with classicals, then built alot of other electric guitars, then finally of late have done a ton of research on classicals after buying a couple that I wans not quite pleased with. Brand is not all of it, I own a Gi Giorgio modelo 3 Autor, which sounds beautiful, but I also owned a modelo 28 which sounded great until you reached for the autor then you hated the modelo 28.
Long and short, if money is an issue and you have less than 300, get a yamaha classical, they are the best for the price. If money goes above that then follow on.
Classicals are spilt into two basic types, the traditional classical which has roughly a 2 inch nut, and 12 frets to the body, then you have the "fusion"models that have a slightly narower nut and 14 frets to the neck, sort of a cross between a steel string and a classical.
Next, materials, most have a spruce, or cedar top, do not get one that does not have a solid top. For the sides and back you will see either mahogny or Rosewood. Rosewood is brighter sounding. The sides and back will either be solid wood or laminate. Laminate is less expensive, but in some cases might not sound quite as loud or as full, I owned a Breedlove CM200, and it felt fabulous, played like a dream but sounded like it was muffled, and according to Breedlove this was due to the back bieng laminate instead of solid wood, and also because the neck had a double truss rod instead of a single.
Last the fan pattern of the bracing makes worlds of difference.
Now, the last difference is a production guitar over a handmade. If the luthier is good the handmade will make worlds of difference, but might have it's own quirks as it is handmade.
Anyway, in the 300 to 1000 range the takamine is a great guitar, the Hiralde like someone mentioned is a fantastic guitr, but it is over 1200. Then in the 2000 to 4000 range all guitars should have solid wood all around and probably will be good.
A last thought, when looking for a traditional classical, I would lean twords a company that makes only classicals. Alot of people that really are serious about classical music are not terribly fond of the martin and taylor offerings, this might be because they make them based on their experience in steel string, and do not have the best bracing patterns for classical? I own a Takamine EC139r and it is a typical fusion guitar, 14 frets to the body, slightly narrow nut, nylon stings, looks beautiful, but the sound unplugged sucks. i am recieving a Breedlove bossa nova on Friday and if I love it as Breedlove promised me I will sell the Takamine.
I hope I did not amble too much.
My last tip, learned from my mistakes, save as long and as much as you can and get the most guitar you can afford so you do not get something and find out that you are not totally in love with it and you want something more.
Also, Musiciansfriend typically has used Ramirez guitars, and most of Ramirez guitars are fantastic, they also carry Cordoba, however Cordoba does make a cheap line of guitars in addition to their top shelf, so do your homework!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic