I'm In The Market For a Nylon Thanks Hector!

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:27 am

As the title says I'm looking at getting a Electric/Nylon cutaway classical neck or close to it, thats the specs now I know nothing about these so some advice here would come in handy team.

Please!

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:43 am

And then another fabulous trigger comes along and everyone gets a bad case of G.A.S. (guitar acquisition syndrome).

"I must add a gorgeous classical guitar (or just a beautiful nylon string) to my guitar family, if I am to pay proper homage to Hector's fabulous arrangement." he says - with a ScKiwi accent and lingo thrown in (like 'hey'). I know what you mean Chas.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:04 am

michelew wrote:
And then another fabulous trigger comes along and everyone gets a bad case of G.A.S. (guitar acquisition syndrome).

"I must add a gorgeous classical guitar (or just a beautiful nylon string) to my guitar family, if I am to pay proper homage to Hector's fabulous arrangement." he says - with a ScKiwi accent and lingo thrown in (like 'hey'). I know what you mean Chas.
Lol hit the nail on the head Michele. Although I've had a hankering for a long time for Flamenco fusion like Rodrigo y Gabriela, another concert recently that I missed through poor NZ marketing and advertising!!

Lavallee

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:59 am

Chas, I am also very interested to get a nylon string guitar. I know a few classical songs but always accepted to play them on a steel string guitar. If we are going to learn more classical maybe it is time to jump in.

It would be nice to hear what Neil or Hector has to say about what to look for (construction) of a nylon string guitar and maybe some recommendation. I know that Michele, Izzy, Bill and Chris are also a big fans of those guitars.

Here is an interesting link to open the discussion from a music teacher of the University of Honolulu

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/Frary/ ... ic_gtr.htm

Marc

Hydroman52

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:41 am

Lavallee wrote:
Here is an interesting link to open the discussion from a music teacher of the University of Honolulu

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/Frary/ ... ic_gtr.htm

Marc
This is an interesting article. I've never seen where anyone actually quantified the trade-off in sound that a person makes with a cut-away. Or, maybe, I just lead a sheltered life?

Thanks for this one, Marc!

neverfoundthetime

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:47 am

Bad attack of GAS, eh Chas! TG will do that to you as we all know by now!!

I love my Tak En60C with the nylon strings.... check them out, easy to play that almost classical sound but the guitar feel is still western. I love classical guitars too, the necks are quite a bit broader though, so switching guitars takes a few mins to adjust.

Thanks for that helpful article Marc!

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Marc great article, Takamines are looking good right now. Local shop sells them to. Nobody locally does Yamaha shame as i think I'd like to try one. High end Taks Hirade also look good but might be wasted on me lol

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Think I've found the one. Only one available in NZ and its in Auckland, shop will ship it free of charge if I really want it. Wife just bought another Fish Tank so she can't argue this time. Wee bit more $$$ than I intended but hey what the heck!

Product : TAKAMINE (JAPAN) TH90 HIRADE - CW/ELEC CLASSICAL GUITAR

RRP - $1999.00
RSP - $1299.00

Features the new CTP-2 Cool Tube Preamp; Oval Soundhole

MODEL TH90
Body Shape Classic Cutaway
Top Solid Spruce
Back Solid Indian Rosewood
Sides Solid Indian Rosewood
Binding Cab + Wood Purf
Roset Oval Marquettery
Neck Mahogany
Fingerboard Ebony
Fingerboard Inlay None
Number of Frets 20
Scale Length 650mm
Nut&Saddle Bone
Nut Width 51.0mm
Trussrod Two Way
Bridge Indian Rosewood
Strings EXP45
Color Natural
Finish Glossy
Electronics CTP-2

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Chas - oooooww - nice...pretty!! Good luck with getting it past the boss.

Marc, thanks for the link - good article. Takamine looks worthy of consideration if/when I go shopping too. I'd love to hear your thought if your decide to get a classical. Michele

izzyhara

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 pm

I actually have two classical guitars. The first is a Yamaha that I have had for 30 some years. It was a cheap-o at the time - looks like it's an Eterna model. I probably paid around $100. But it has aged nicely. My newer one is a Cordoba - and this is a "wow" classical guitar. But apparently not like the ones you guys are looking at, cuz I think I got this one for around $700. It is really a beauty with very warm sounds. But it doesn't seem to be as forgiving as the Yamaha - the neck is just a bit wider, and I have to be VERY precise or I get buzz. I am struggling a little bit with strings right now. I am not sure what I like. I trusted my luthier to re-string the Cordoba for me the last time, and I am not crazy about the strings he put on. Just an FYI they aren't much fun to re-string. When I picked up the guitar again a month or so ago after a long layoff, the classical was a great way to break in the fingers and rebuild those calluses. They don't draw blood like steel strings do. Good luck to all, and share your finds with all of us!! Hector, if you are reading this thread, so you have a string that you favor? Izzy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic