I'm In The Market For a Nylon Thanks Hector!

Lavallee

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:56 pm

michelew wrote:
Chas - oooooww - nice...pretty!! Good luck with getting it past the boss.

Marc, thanks for the link - good article. Takamine looks worthy of consideration if/when I go shopping too. I'd love to hear your thought if your decide to get a classical. Michele
Whenver I have been in a guitar store, I have never tried a classical guitar nor have I seen anyone playing with one. They are not as cool as electric or accoustic. I am grateful to TG to have brought in Hector as it is a revelation to me how nice a classical guitar can sound. This is a brand new aspect that I have never considered

I think it will take a little time since I have to start shopping and get the feel for them before making an opinion, but I will get one for sure.

Marc

AndyT

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:34 pm

One of my students has this one:

http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-EWN28BGENT

I really like it. It has a very mellow sound. If I get a classical, this will be the one I look at.

The thing I really love about it is the neck. It's a standard Steel string sized neck. Just slightly larger. Not the big fat neck of a standard Classical.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:45 pm

michelew wrote:

Marc, thanks for the link - good article. Takamine looks worthy of consideration if/when I go shopping too. I'd love to hear your thought if your decide to get a classical. Michele
Well got it past she who must be obeyed and its ordered should be here in a week. And in case anyone is interested I have tried this guitar out before, but it wasn't on special offer then so I didn't consider it. When I was chatting with the guy in the guitar shop he looked it up online and was surprised his company had reduced it by as much, he said $2k guitars on offer were normally sold at the $1.5k mark, he thought it was a mistake but said too bad on the company lol!

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Whenver I have been in a guitar store, I have never tried a classical guitar nor have I seen anyone playing with one. They are not as cool as electric or accoustic. I am grateful to TG to have brought in Hector as it is a revelation to me how nice a classical guitar can sound. This is a brand new aspect that I have never considered

I think it will take a little time since I have to start shopping and get the feel for them before making an opinion, but I will get one for sure.

Marc
Marc, It's funny that you should say that. Before Christmas I went to a local music store that has a lot of guitars to try out a classical. Out of the perhaps 100 guitars in the shop, they had 3 classicals. One very expensive one from Spain (which was hung with a big 'do not touch' sign on it) and 2 very low budget C40 Yamahas ($140) that you might by for a kid (in fact one was a 3/4 size). I asked the store manager whether they would be getting any more in and about one of the better model Yamahas that I was interested in trying out CG151 or a CG171, and he said they weren't getting classicals in because they are not cool and young people aren't interested in playing them (also mentioned that they were popular in the 70's - implying that they were so old fashioned). It made me cross at the time and I must admit I felt like telling him that he looked like a want-to-be guitar hero who was 55 going on 17 and that he should cut his dirty manky hair and grow up.

I left the store after trying the cheap one which felt like a toy.

Their loss - I obviously won't be purchasing anything fro them.

Lavallee

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Good for you Chas, I am looking forward to see and hear it

Marc

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:48 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
michelew wrote:

Well got it past she who must be obeyed and its ordered should be here in a week. And in case anyone is interested I have tried this guitar out before, but it wasn't on special offer then so I didn't consider it. When I was chatting with the guy in the guitar shop he looked it up online and was surprised his company had reduced it by as much, he said $2k guitars on offer were normally sold at the $1.5k mark, he thought it was a mistake but said too bad on the company lol!

Good job Chas. I'd love to hear how it sounds when you get it.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:52 pm

michelew wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
michelew wrote:

Good job Chas. I'd love to hear how it sounds when you get it.
I've been practising Romanza on my stepdaughters nylon 'toy' the action is very , very High! so almost impossible to play the barres correctly. But all going well that just may be my first vid... Which will be a work in progress lol cos thats a hard tune to play!

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
I've been practising Romanza on my stepdaughters nylon 'toy' the action is very , very High! so almost impossible to play the barres correctly. But all going well that just may be my first vid... Which will be a work in progress lol cos thats a hard tune to play!
OK - I take your point Chris. 'Toy' is an exaggeration. I'm sure they are a solid entry level guitar. But, I was already feeling a bit cross at that stage at the almost zero range and no service.

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:05 pm

michelew wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
OK - I take your point Chris. 'Toy' is an exaggeration. I'm sure they are a solid entry level guitar. But, I was already feeling a bit cross at that stage at the almost zero range and no service.
I would be rather annoyed and would most likely never go back , but that would be after telling the shopkeeper that. Get that much satisfaction at least

michelew

Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Oopss - I'm not sure why I called you Chris - Chas. I guess I wrote CH and then got distracted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic