Unwanted feedback / noise on mini amp

6stringwannabe

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:38 am

Hi friends,

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Classic purchased new two years ago. I believe it has two open humbucker pickups. I just purchased the new Amp U Plug N Play (http://www.ampuplugnplay.com/). The Amp is about the size of a digital camera with a plug attached directly to it (no wires)and plugs directly into the jack on the electric guitar. You use the volume and tone settings on the guitar. Actually pretty cool for low volume practicing, bring into another room without the big amp, etc. It has two settings, clean and overdrive. When I switch the Amp to overdrive I immediatly get a very high and steadily increasing feedback/noise from the amp until I touch the strings. When I release my hand from the strings it starts all over again.

I had the guitar looked at from a professional tech at GC yesterday. He said all the elctronics look good and when he pulled out the jack from the guitar and plugged in the Amp there was no noise at all. Plugged it back in, same noise. His conclusion was that it is just the way my guitar is. I find this unsatisfactory. I did plug it into another guitar at GC very similar to mine without any feedback/ noise.

Any of you electronic experts have any ideas? The Amp was only $30 bucks and I would like to keep it as well as make sure my guitar is working properly. Thanks.

Ted Image

heatndude

Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:47 pm

I also have a Les Paul that does the same thing on any Overdrive channel on any amp. I found out that if you have the Alinco pick ups they are pretty hot as far as signal so turning down the volume on your guitar will make it go away. Turn it back up when ready to play and you wont hear the feedback at all. At least that is how it works for me. Just keep playing and dont stop !!! I sound like Neil now ! Also try using the neck pick up instead of the bridge, they are two different pick ups. Thats all I can offer other than lets see that guitar in action !!!!!!!

Mark

6stringwannabe

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:43 pm

UPDATE: I had a friend that can REALLY play the guitar put mine through a good workout. He has also indicated the feedback I received is typical for my "hot" pickups. So I kept the little plug-n-play amp. It actually works pretty well...considering.

Catman

Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 pm

I think the feedback is a function of the combination of

1. Hot pickups
2. Physical coupling of the amp to the guitar

If you make a short adapter cable and attach the amp to your guitar strap (for example) you will probably find that the feedback goes away.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic