F-hole mandolins versus round hole mandolins...

TGMandolinMike

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:06 pm

For anyone interested, I thought I'd start a discussion on f-hole mandolins versus round hole mandolins with regard to tone and construction. Gibson made both varieties, with the round (or oval) hole mandolins pre-dating the f-hole models by twenty plus years beginning in the late 1890's. Basically, the modern preferences are:

F-hole: Bluegrass & contemporary
Round hole: old-timey, irish, blues, ragtime

There are no hard and fast rules, but what is your preference? Or are there simply any questions on these different approaches to mandolin construction?

Lavallee

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Would it be the relationship between the sound from electric guitar with the f hole more jazzy and mellow sound vs a regular electric guitar where the sound is more direct?

Marc

TGMandolinMike

Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Hi Marc,

Somewhat, but mostly we're dealing with a difference in the way tension and sound waves are distributed across the top between these two different construction styles. It would be more akin to the difference in sound between an f-hole archtop acoustic guitar and a round hole flat top. (Although both style mandolins I'm referring to are of archtop construction.) Basically, an f-hole mandolin will have a more percussive and clearly defined chord sound, while a round hole mandolin has a softer edge to the tone. For my particular style of playing, I find the f-hole mandolin more versatile, but it's all personal preference.

haoli25

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Mike, I sure hope you are right about the F-hole being more versatile, but I am going to give it a shot.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic