How much extra would you pay to support your local guitar shop?

MarkM

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:45 pm

suziko wrote:
Bill- the reason I would justify paying more at a well-run independent store is that you're buying more than just the guitar; you're also buying a relationship with that store and a certain kind of experience. It's like getting your hair cut- you can go to a $15 barber (or have your wife cut your hair the way I do for Eric) that is no-frills, or you can spend $60 and get a scalp massage with some sort of aromatherapy oil, plus have your hair blown-dry and styled, etc. In the end, you're getting a hair cut at both places, and the quality of the hair cut itself might not even be different. But you might be willing to pay more if you want the "pampering" experience. I see it sort of the same way with an independent guitar store (or at least mine). I like going in there, I like how the guitars are arrayed in a shiny row, I like that guitars are clean and in tune, I like that the people know who I am and remember what I've bought. I'm willing to pay a bit more for that experience.
I totally agree with this. You do get more from the small shop that you can't at GC. I guess it all depends on if or how much one is willing to pay for and use those extra services or attention.

MarkM

haoli25

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 pm

I hear you Suzi, but I would rather pamper myself with the $200 I saved. :laugh: As I said before, I don't mind paying more to get more, but when all things are equal, I'll take the better deal. :)

You cut your husband's hair??? I hope he brings you flowers and gifts often, you don't want to get on the wrong side of a woman standing behind you with scissors! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

suziko

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Bill- fair enough!

And as for cutting my husband's hair, I am a woman of many talents! ;)

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Dennis:

I am lucky enough to have a local dealer that has three stores and does a fairly brisk little business. They have always matched GC's prices for me. Course, if I went back to GC and told them, I am sure that GC would lower their price even more. Not my style. I would be o.k. with a 5 to 10 percent difference, but ultimately, I worked very hard for my money and I like to keep as much as possible. I have to admit that the salespeople in the local store are much more personable and knowledgeable when it comes to their stock. Most of the time I find GC has some wanna be band member who just wants to show off his chops on a few lightening fast scales.......

If you anticipate frequenting the local store and using the luthier services, it may be worth the extra money. I would just be honest with them and see what they can do. You might be surprised (or you might not....).

MJ

tovo

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Specific answer my friend in the "what would tovo do"? category. I would ask them to match the price you can get at MC. I would also explain that all things being equal i.e. price, you would much rather buy from them. I'd be very surprised if, when you say "match the price and I will buy today" you don't walk out with a 814ce for the same price you can get at MC.

haoli25

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:17 pm

suziko wrote:
Bill- fair enough!

And as for cutting my husband's hair, I am a woman of many talents! ;)

A toast to you, dear lady! :)

AndyT

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't have a Guitar Center here in Hawaii. But the shop I do most of my business with has a 'Meet or Beat over $100' any legit internet price. So when I go there to get something, I take a printout of the item and its price from one of the big online stores and they always take care of me.

Anything that costs over $100 is fair game to the price matching. I've saved quite a bit and they have a very happy local customer.

heyjoe

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Tovo wrote:
Specific answer my friend in the "what would tovo do"? category. I would ask them to match the price you can get at MC. I would also explain that all things being equal i.e. price, you would much rather buy from them. I'd be very surprised if, when you say "match the price and I will buy today" you don't walk out with a 814ce for the same price you can get at MC.
Couldn't agree more Tony, I'd use the GC price as leverage against the smaller place. Everyone talks about having a relationship with the guitar shop..some have it and some don't, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of the time, the shops don't care about the relationship and just want your cash-I don't meant to be confrontational here, but when it gets down to it business is business, and I'd rather keep the money in my pocket than needlessly give it to someone else.

$800 is a lot of cash, think of it this way, you buy 3 more guitars in the future and pay $800 over the GC price each time, $2400 gets you another guitar!

Joe

p.s $800 gets you a lot of years on TG!

izzyhara

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 pm

This has been an interesting thread. My own personal feeling is that I would rather do business with my little local guitar shop. And I have done a lot of business with them lately. I think when I bought my last guitar from them, it was more ($100 if I remember right) than the larger chain stores. However, they gave me two free string changes the first year where they cleaned the instrument, inspected it, and changed the strings. They also gave me a good deal on a case and any music or accessories I wanted to buy that day. So in the long run, I got back my $100 easy. I do value that they know me and seem to care about me. That means a lot to me. They make recommendations based upon what they know about me and my style of play, not what their sales managers told them to move that day. It just feels better buying something from them. It is a satisfying experience, whereas a place like the Guitar Center is not very personal. However, when I decided I needed another acoustic guitar (GAS) for tunings, I did not go to my local shop because they do not carry "cheap" guitars, and actually get a little snooty about it. I just wanted a basic Yamaha, so I mail ordered it from GC. But their care of me and my really special instruments is pretty important to me.
Just a comment to Michele - when I went to buy my new classical, I felt just like you did. At that time, I hadn't even played much for about 20 years. I asked other guys to play and I sat across from them and listened to the instruments for a long time. When I had narrowed down my choice to 2-3 guitars that I liked the sound of, I asked for a private place to play them myself. They accomodated me no problem. That should work for you as well. They also offered to let me take things home and try them if I wanted. Good thread guys. Izzy

Moondog

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:03 pm

I do the same thing with guitars as I do with my motorcycle tires. I let the shop know what I can get it for on line and give them the chance to come close. I set my limit to $20 that is to say if the shop can come within $20 of what I can get it for some other place I will buy it local if not......
I very much want to support the small business but not to the point where I feel like I'm giving away my money.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic